*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/743168-This-ones-about-the-end
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1762035
A little bit of everything, colored my own way.
#743168 added January 2, 2012 at 10:07pm
Restrictions: None
This one's about the end.
THE PROMPT: "2012 to others is a tragic year since it is associated with end of days. Express your sentiments on this."

Well, that's a fine good evening and a start to the year now, isn't it? Didn't take me long to get all riled up now, did it? See, I don't believe in any of this random "end of the world" nonsense. I've been hearing it since I was a kid, and guess what? This big old ball of mass we call "Earth" is still friggin' turning. Save me your Raptures, your Mayan calendars, your biblical prophecies, all of that. When it's over, it's over, and I'm not changing anything "just in case". Eff that and a bag of chips...I'm more likely to walk off a curb tomorrow and be struck by a semi than any of this "end of days" bs coming to fruition.

I can't call in sick to work just cuz I think the world is gonna end. Hell, even if some sick plagues come down and roads cave and locusts swarm, work's still gonna expect me to show up anyway, because people will still want to buy toilet paper and coffee, even though the world's imploding. My case in point: our store was on fire nearly a year ago, and as we tried to calmly get people out of the store, customers still browsed like it was no big deal. "Ma'am, you're going to have to leave the store. It's on fire." "Oh, well, I just have to grab a few things while I'm waiting for my prescription." "No, you need to leave. The building is on fire." "Can I just pay for my milk?" "NO!" *Shock* *Worry*

That episode alone convinces me that the world will never end, because even in times of catastrophe, fools will still try to shop, and corporations will still expect there to be people at the ready to take care of them. And somehow, that will keep the world turning. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if around October-ish we started selling "World's Ending!" merchandise and party supplies. T-shirts, napkins, cups, plates, stuff with blinking lights..."Get your Apocalypse Now at Walgreens!" And you all know I'll be the a-hole stuck working by myself the day it doesn't end, and will have to deal with the disappointed, pissed off people wanting to return it all.

Sentiments? Expressed. Now where's that curb I can walk off?

MUSICAL BREAK!!

I didn't even know what the prompt was before I left the house to do some shopping, but this was ironically the last song I heard on the radio as I was pulling into the garage. Eerie, the way these things work. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDN9y2vTdUs That's what stumbling into the classic rock station gets me when I fail to travel without my iPod.

VITAL STATS:

*Bullet* Bought new shoes today, because the shoes I've had for years aren't good enough and the ones I've bought recently haven't held up as well. We had all sorts of Kohl's coupons, discounts, and gift cards, so I basically spent $10 on a pair of Adidas I'm probably only going to return anyway, because they're a half-size too big. The Sketchers I liked were "last pair available" and not my size...oh no!! END OF THE WORLD!!

And for a store the size of Kohl's, can you believe they don't sell shoelaces? I'd probably be fine wearing kicks a half-size bigger if they don't compromise my view of my feet feeling too big in these shoes, but these shoes need something other than white laces. Now I'mma hafta drag my ass to the mall to get laces that I like, for another pair of shoes I don't need, that I only paid $10 for, that I'll probably ruin at work anyway...when the world ends, no less.

*Bullet* I have Coca-Cola Chicken waiting for me upstairs. Hit me up if you wanna know what that's all about.

*Bullet* I blow off my day off and I get drama for it? 36, never married, never will be. Living the dream *Rolleyes*. Today was the end of the world!!

Selfish me is back in my little hole in the basement, and I'm not gonna apologize for that...it may be cold, but sometimes I need to be left alone. Alone and away from everyone else that irritates me. Where I don't feel like every misstep I take is the end of the world. That being said, GOODNIGHT NOW!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a_8F6gflxQ

© Copyright 2012 Fivesixer (UN: fivesixer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fivesixer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/743168-This-ones-about-the-end