*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/743271-This-ones-about-old-habits
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1762035
A little bit of everything, colored my own way.
#743271 added January 3, 2012 at 11:33pm
Restrictions: None
This one's about old habits.
THE PROMPT: "When you are writing, do you prefer to use a pen or a computer?"

Good evening everybody! I think this is a fairly straightforward question. Back in the day, when I first started writing, it was all by hand in notebooks, most of which I still have. Computers were primarily used for word processing, and we didn't have a computer anyway.

Things changed for me however; over ten years ago I found out about this little website here. Because I spent so much more time online, it was natural to hit WDC whenever the urge struck me. Rather than write poetry by hand (and think and scribble, because I rarely would edit my thoughts) and then type it out, the text box on WDC became my blank page. Then all I had to do if I wanted backup of my work was print the page up, hit it with the three-hole punch, and snap it into a binder. I reversed my whole process, and it's worked out well.

It's almost been like it's allowed me a little more creative freedom as well, outside of everything you can do with WritingML. Spell-checking and editing after I've composed a line or two are a lot nicer and neater, and I feel like I can keep up with my thoughts better than waiting from my hand to catch up with my head.

I will, once in awhile, write in a notebook. I've always done that and it's comforting in a way, plus you can't always have access to a computer. Something about seeing a writer's ideas from his or her own hand is almost a romantic thing, I think. That "personalized touch", if you will. Sounds corny, but you'll have that. I actually don't mind talking about the general writing process...it's just weird when we get into personal aspects and approaches.

That was a fun little prompt! *Smile*

MUSICAL BREAK!!

I love indie hip hop that's not at all about guns and women and cars and blingin'....this is a new song just released as a free download...I think a lot of writers can relate to the real message. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06qWAClqh9I&feature=g-all-bul&context=G2b8d70fFAA...

VITAL STATS:

*Cart* And it was back to work for this cat today. It's always hard going back to work five days in a row after having practically three straight off. I know you're lookin' at that and sayin' that math don't add up fool; how do you live with eight days in a week? It's simple. Most weeks, I close Tuesday and open Wednesday through Saturday. Sometimes I'm out as early as two on a Saturday, and I don't go back until Tuesday afternoon at 2:30. So maybe it's more like two and a half days off in a row, but it's easier to round up and say three, even though I'm working five straight. See, I get it. And that's all that matters. *Pthb*

{e:STILL NO DAMN HOCKEY EMOTICON!!} Hold up a sec...gotta check the Sabres score. That's the one drawback to working Tuesday nights...there's usually a game on. And dammit, I missed a win for the blue and gold. But I'll take it. I suppose I could dvr the games I miss, but I hate that, because you know someone you know is gonna ruin the score for ya anyway, and on the close-to-open turnarounds, I really don't feel like sitting through old news. Dvr'ing sports isn't the same as dvr'ing a tv show or a movie. It's just not.

*Snow2* We've been very spoiled this winter...great temps and hardly any snow. Annnnnd wow has that changed in the last two days. We've still only had a mere few inches of snow that's actually managed to stick for more than a day, but really only because it's finally gotten cold enough for the snow to stay. Wait for it....wait for it...HOW COLD WAS IT? Anywhere for 10-15 degrees. And yup, I'm done with it. Anyone who knows anything about me knows that. There...I've complained about the weather once, and you won't hear another peep about it outta me until the first time it really snows...when we're talking feet instead of inches. Or, as the cool kids do, ' instead of ".

Well, thanks for lettin' me kill a couple minutes of your day. We'll be back at it again tomorrow, only maybe a little earlier. I have some time of my own to kill and I'm gonna waste it as best as possibly. Stay warm, take care, and GOODNIGHT NOW!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQZQXFZpTmQ

© Copyright 2012 Fivesixer (UN: fivesixer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fivesixer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/743271-This-ones-about-old-habits