*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/743425-We-all-have-issues
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #1578384
You never know what you'll find - humor, ramblings, rants, randomness- it's all me!
#743425 added January 5, 2012 at 5:40pm
Restrictions: None
We all have issues
In 200 words or more, write a post about a world-wide issue that you feel needs support.

I'm not sure this is world-wide, but it is on my mind right now - and I just really need to express it. Of course, I'll probably delete it for fear my opinions will be misunderstood and be on the next News 4 update. lol - yeah, like that many people read this.

Anywaaaaayyy, my issue is educators. No, I didn't say education. I said and meant educators. I am one, so I kind of feel like I have an expertise in this area. But you can't care about educators without having a strong feeling about education as well.

Here's the deal - I just came from a conference where I listened to a man tell us about 20 things teachers need to do in addition to teaching. I listened with an open mind. The other teachers at my table from another school made smart ass comments about how unfeasible it was to implement, if it ain't broke don't fix it - etc. Well, apparently some of it is broke and does need mending. I guess when I started really getting "resentful" (that's not the write description, but it is the best to come to me right now) is when I realized I do many of these teaching methods the speaker was talking about, but he was taking it a step further and telling us how we need to document, graph, statistic sheets, etc. these things. Why must we do this? Because we have to cover our asses. Well, I got a big ass - okay that's beside the point. Let's cut to the chase. I am now suppose to document my teaching almost minute by minute (silly me - I thought lesson plans were documentation), graph each student's progress (isn't this a grade book?), and prove in documentation everything I've done in the day and preparation for the day. Why do I have to do this? Because some teachers simply don't do their jobs. So you think by giving them more to do you are going to make them implement what you want? B.S. (that's not bachelor of science) You are going to overload the ones that do what they are supposed to making the good ones leave the profession. Did I say profession? Yeah, I'm a professional. Yes, I get the summer's off (we will talk about that later), and my contract worktime ends at 3:15. But is not just a job, it is a profession.

Fire the ones who don't do their job. You would fire your lawyer if he was a slackass. I'd quit going to my doctor if he couldn't remember my name or gave me the wrong perscriptions. Fire them! Yeah, I said it. Set your expectations, explain them to them, assess them and if they aren't doing the job - lead them to the door.

I'm not even talking about the salary - no one goes into teaching thinking they are going to get rich. But if I am a professional, I should be respected as one. I don't punish the whole class for a few misbehaving. Don't punish or judge us because some people chose the wrong profession and doing a bad job.

I'm all for change. We've implemented plenty in our small rural school. We have a no zero policy. I bring their happy hineys in for lunch or after school until it's done. We reassess when I child didn't pass a test. I find creative ways to teach. We celebrate successes. I teach, reteach, and reteach again. It's my profession.

It's my passion, but let me do it. Don't overload me with so much paperwork that I don't have time for the kids. Because, you know what? They need me. Yep, they do. Occasionally, they even need a hug from me. And guess what? I forget the many times I've heard to "protect ourselves" we shouldn't touch the kids. I'll risk a lawsuit. kIds need a high 5, a pat on the back, and even a hug now and then. I won't be scared out of doing what I was made to do - teach.

Are there teachers who teach to get the summers off? Of course. And I'm not about to tell you I hate that i have summers off. It's amazing! I get to spend time with my son - time that in some ways makes me feel less guilty for the times I might have deprived him because I was giving it to someone else's child. Summers off? Many teachers get a job in the summer to help implement a teacher's salary. In my summers, I do all the things I didn't have time for during the year, go to educational work shops, figure how to do the job better next year.

See, we don't really get off at 3:15. I still have my room to clean, papers to grade, lesson plans to make happen, tutoring, and everything else I'm forgetting. Plus, most teachers don't just teach. When I was hired they said, "And what extra curricula club are you qualified to be the sponsor of." (Does your pediatrician also coach your little league team? Maybe he does)

I don't want to send the wrong message. I absolutely passionately love what I do everyday. And I think I'm damn good at it too. All I'm saying is, teachers are individuals and should be treated as such. If I don't do what I was hired to do, fire me. But if I'm doing a good job, please don't ask me to write a report on why I taught object of preposition the way i did. Let me have some time to go to the kids basketball games and cheer them on.
It will mean a lot more to them than a paper I write that goes into a file.

Okay, I'm done preaching. Well, more like rambling.

Thanks!
Audra

© Copyright 2012 audra_branson (UN: abranson at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
audra_branson has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/743425-We-all-have-issues