*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/744772-Bed-raisers-or-risers
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1718540
Day to day stuff....a memoir without order.
#744772 added January 17, 2012 at 8:39pm
Restrictions: None
Bed raisers, or risers....
For a couple of months now, since November 22nd to be exact, physical therapy has been promising to send us some bed raisers (actually called risers, but raisers makes more sense to me). Jim's wheelchair is a few inches higher than the bed and pt thinks bed raisers will make it easier for Jim to stand and transfer to the wheelchair.

Along around the middle of December, I figured they must be coming by slow boat from China, and began dialing up local stores. After discovering they cost less than twenty dollars, I went to K-Mart and bought a set, five inchers, the only size they carry. The only size anyone carries in our town. The thing is students like to store boxes under their beds, and in Gainesville, stores cater to students.

Getting back home and sizing up the situation, I wrestle the mattress off and lean it up on edge against the nearest objects, then I slide down the boxspring off the bedframe and walk it up like a ladder to lean against the mattress. At this juncture, I easily lift each corner roller and position them on the five inch raisers. The only problem I see is my headboard legs are five inches off the floor. I decide to muscle the boxsprings and mattress back onto the frame and see what happens.

Everything seems good and sturdy. The only problem is Jim's butt doesn't even reach the bed when he stands up. Bummer. Five inches is too much. Now I have to reverse the entire procedure and put the bed back in its original position.

The next day I decide to call pt and find out what size they are ordering. Guess what? Five inchers. So they cancel that order and replace it with three inchers. Today, the 17th of January, the three inchers finally arrived. Tomorrow I will be wrestling with the bed again.

until next time...c

© Copyright 2012 An apple a day.... (UN: biddle.connie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
An apple a day.... has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/744772-Bed-raisers-or-risers