*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/749242-Matt-Had-A-Bad-Day
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1300042
All that remains: here in my afterlife as a 'mainstream' blogger, with what little I know.
#749242 added February 7, 2014 at 2:43pm
Restrictions: None
Matt Had A Bad Day
This blog starts Tuesday and ends today...

The Rabbit

He's one of the rabbits I talk about at the YMCA. They run about the floor like their tail's on fire and look like their running from something that wants to eat them. (I'll have to work on that metaphor some more) But this one -- Matt -- fakes left and drives with his head down to the hoop every time. He's in his early 20s and nice as can be, but plays on instinct and seldom has a game plan.

Tuesday, he had the ball stripped away over and over. I did it, others who double-teamed him did it. He got triple-teamed on one play and kept trying to dribble through the crowd.

I wanted to help him at one point, but realized he's young and maybe a bit too proud and might not be accepting of advice. I was on the opposing team and I just wanted to tell him you're like a pitcher that needs a change up. You have your fast ball and curve and their working nice, but people can read when they're coming. Do a change of pace once in awhile.

I think if he slows his game down he gets hesitant. Indecision kills. But I find, if you look at the floor before you decide to go, you see options open up. Sometimes, I get caught up in that hurry up pace. Now, I fake passes to open lanes. If I don't see what I like, I can take off myself or just pass out of it.

So few players just pass. If they catch a pass they feel they have to make a play. When the passes were going side to side and someone cut to the basket behind the pass, they open up on the other side when the ball arrives. Poor Matt was not even passing out when he got stuck.

He didn't even have a chance to get stuck by the end of the day. I must have ripped the ball away a half-dozen times including a foul when I blocked his shot. He drives to the basket like he's on rails that eventually bend to the hoop and he'll try to bound over you when he finishes the play. I just run to the basket rather than try to keep pace with him, because I know where he's going. So, if I make a bee line and just cut to the hoop, I have him. I can propel him away or force him into an awkward shot. He seems to throw up a few of those. They go in sometimes, so that encourages his style of play.

What also encourages him is people who don't take the time to learn what he prefers doing. He had started going to his left there for a time and it worked, but familiarity is what we all seem to return to, especially when not consciously playing the game to outsmart an opponent.

Athletically, he can beat me...if I let him. If I have to guard him straight up, it's not a problem. When I double team, I take a way his lane to the hoop and force him back out.  It's simple stuff and actually inspires my play when I can shut him down like this.

After our short day of games were over after an hour and a quarter of play, he sat in the middle of the court with his arms bent over his knees keeping his head low toward his lap. Someone asked him if he was alright. I didn't have to ask. I wanted to offer advice. But, so few people want to discuss the game with me and it feels unnatural to just offer my advice. He's got his buddies who mostly tease him when he has a bad day, or feed him when he's hot.

I preferred to walk away and not get involved. I feel, if he brings it up when I am in ear shot, I might offer the bit about needing a change up. Just pass out of double teams because someone nearby is open. It worked for Mike and I today.

A guy named Phil was on Mike who was trying to feed me in the post. I had Jimmy on me, a big mismatch as he's over a half a foot shorter than me and even older! *Laugh* I had already scored in the post once when Mike dribbled down to the corner to set me up again. Phil dropped back in front of me and gave Mike a wide open three-pointer which he drained. It broke open the game for us, as we eventually won.

We talked about if afterward and how helpful it is to get a good shooter and post player playing two-on-two on one side of the court. You have options like passing out of a double team to feed a hot shooter or vice-versa if a post player can force the action underneath.

I made a lot of errors today. It was hot in the gym and I think not having much caffeine to consume before starting slowed me. My shooting was off and I didn't stretch or prepare as well as I should. I have the whole week with the kids at Grandma's, so I'll have another try tomorrow to do things differently.

Though, I should get some housework done. Not everyday I can just rip everything apart and put it back together without little hands getting in the mix and making off with my stuff.

Matt Learns A Lesson?

Wednesday, Matt returned to the gym. I hollered encouragement as he surprised me. He drove the lane, drew the defense and set up shooters on the wing several times for scores. He must have known what he was doing wrong and was thinking hard about it. Things opened up for him yesterday and his play was much better.

My play was okay. I didn't shoot well for a second day and my body tightened up. I have not been stretching or preparing correctly. I felt something pop under my patellar strap. I think I had a small muscle pull or spasm, perhaps attached to my hamstring. It wasn't enough to hobble me, but gave me concern. I didn't do anything about it. At that point, you can't stretch it out any more. I opted to play through it, feeling the strap was holding in whatever it was that was trying to pop out.

I need to hydrate more and properly stretch. I kept playing at the gym a secret today, as I had given Jen the impression I would be doing other things. I did rush home and rip apart the garage right away. It's still a mess today, Thursday, as I plan to properly prepare to play ball again. I feel this is rare to have no kids and I can get to the gym. But I am being a bit selfish and stupid about it and not doing this the right way.

It's like there is a big piece of delicious chocolate cake on my plate, but I'm gobbling it up too fast. Either I get indigestion, or I fail to savor the confection by being too hasty. There needs to be an art to enjoying everything. Sometimes, it just takes eating a whole lot of chocolate cake before you really understand the best way to enjoy it. Hmmm, wonder what we've got to eat around here? *Worry*


© Copyright 2014 Brian K Compton (UN: ripglaedr3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Brian K Compton has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/749242-Matt-Had-A-Bad-Day