*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/754398-June-7-Dragon
Rated: 18+ · Book · Contest Entry · #1872532
My entries for the 15 for 15 contest
#754398 added June 8, 2012 at 2:22pm
Restrictions: None
June 7: Dragon
"What have I told you about eating our guests?" Morgana looked down at her pet dragon, affecting a scolding tone, but with affection gleaming in her eyes. Ralph hung his head and scuffed his claws along the dungeon floor.

"Not to," he mumbled. "I'm sorry, Mistress, I couldn't help myself. He was there, and he just smelled so delicious. Before I knew it, he was in my tummy!"

"And I understand that, but you must learn to control yourself," the Queen sighed as she sat back on her throne. "You didn't even leave the bones this time. The neighboring kingdoms are starting to refuse to visit us anymore. Their dignitaries keep going missing."

Ralph snorted a small breath of fire in apology as he sunk lower to the stone floor. He knew that his mistress was right, but humans smelled so tempting...

"No matter, I suppose," Morgana sighed. "He looked rather smarmy. I would not have wanted him for a husband, anyway."

Ralph nodded and burped an agreement. One of the prince's boots clattered to the floor, only a bit of charred leather clinging to the sole now.


That night, Morgana lay awake in her crimson-swathed bed. She couldn't sleep. It may have been her unmarried state that preoccupied her. No one liked to think of themselves as un-marriageable after all. Even if it did seem to be true. There weren't many men who could stand up to her, wielder of blood magick and powerful sorceress in her own right. She wanted an equal partner, not a lackluster toady. And anyone who thought that he could dominate her would have another thing coming. If Ralph didn't eat him, she would destroy him.

"Oh well," she thought to herself and sighed. Ralph snored from across the room, sprawled across his own dragon bed. His snores did not help her insomnia, yet she didn't have the heart to wake him. Goddess knew he deserved his rest. With another sigh, the Queen rolled over and went to sleep.


She awoke with a start, feeling immediately that something was wrong. The window. There was something blocking the moonlight coming in the window, and she had a sneaking suspicion that it wasn't Ralph. She reached for her staff by the bedside table just as a lantern blinded her eyes. There was a man coming for her, anonymous behind black armor.

"My Prince will be most pleased that I've managed to capture the Red Queen," a gloating voice filled her ears as his hand came out and cast something red and sticky at her. Morgana was immediately frozen to her bed. Damn it! she was furious at herself for not reacting sooner. "You will make a fine trophy wife for him."

There was a shifting movement behind him, and suddenly, a gout of flame came out of the darkness. Morgana grinned as Ralph lumbered off of his bed, devouring the knight in one crunching gulp. The red stickiness immediately vanished and Morgana leaped out of bed.

"Sorry, Mistress," Ralph rumbled, a toothy smile spreading across his draconic features. "I know, I know..."

"No eating the guests," Morgana finished and laughed. She knew there would be repercussions later, but for now, she was content to simply hold onto her friend and enjoy the moment.
© Copyright 2012 ⭐Princette♥PengthuluWrites (UN: morgana at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
⭐Princette♥PengthuluWrites has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/754398-June-7-Dragon