*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/754800-just-daydreaming
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1718540
Day to day stuff....a memoir without order.
#754800 added June 13, 2012 at 11:03am
Restrictions: None
just daydreaming...
I was just sitting here thinking about how I felt the day we left Delaware to move down here to Florida. It was so hot, mid-June 1978, had to be in the nineties. I had a huge spider plant on my lap. It was my "baby" and I wouldn't let the movers take it. I held that thing all the way to Florida where I hung it on the patio of our rental unit. Would you believe, not long afterwards, somebody stole it right off our patio!

Oh, well, that's another story...back to moving day. I can't say I was happy about moving. I was born and raised in Delaware and never really wanted to move away. But I had agreed and thought it was probably for the best. In the days prior, I took pictures of all my favorite places which meant I got to visit all my favorite places, Rehoboth, Bombay Hook, Mispillion Light. We even made a final trip to D.C. and the Smithsonian. I have worn out those pictures. They keep falling out of their album, they have been looked at so often.

Although Florida is where "home" is, it has never really been home to me. I still think of Delaware as my home. Driving along Route 8 on that hot, summer day, watching all my familiar places flash by, almost seems as though it was yesterday. We have been back a few times and some things are the same, but most things have changed without me. I can go to Rehoboth and walk in the hot sand and know it is the same sand I walked in years and years ago. Somehow, that is very comforting. Moore's Lake in the fall is still one of the most beautiful places on earth with all the sugar maples in their oranges and yellows reflected in the smooth water.

That moving day I had no idea how I would miss my home. But life goes on and somehow we adapt to it and make the best of it. I don't think I will ever move back to Delaware, but I do know I will never stop missing it.

until next time...c

© Copyright 2012 An apple a day.... (UN: biddle.connie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
An apple a day.... has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/754800-just-daydreaming