*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/758257-Metaphors-be-with-you-Aug-10
Rated: 13+ · Book · Contest Entry · #1883076
My first blog attempt - don't laugh. Unless it's funny, then please, please laugh!
#758257 added August 10, 2012 at 11:50pm
Restrictions: None
Metaphors be with you Aug 10
Prompt: "Tell us about someone in your life, or someone else's life, who uses metaphors in an extreme manner. For example: An old Aunt used to always say "You're in the right church, but the wrong pew", if you were looking for something and were close to finding it."

My english teacher for my senior year in high school had a metaphor habit.  She was a nice lady, but seemed ill equipped to handle a classroom full of hormonal kids with behavioral issues.  She tried to relate to us, but that didn't work out for her; she was always a funny little figure with quaint sayings. 

"Your brains are sponges, sucking up the salt water of knowledge that flows from the river of my words."

"Homework is boot camp, and it will prepare you for the career of your life; will you be a general or a private?"

If we had had Facebook or twitter she might have been infamous, but she was just a school legend, an inside joke.  Sometimes she'd receive a gift from a student:  "Donuts are fat pills. Prescriptions for high cholesterol."

She tried to counsel us.  It had to be obvious to her that so many of us were high, that we were absolutely uninterested in the lesson plans she had prepared.  She cared for us, "little lambs who were being led astray by bad influences," and "poisoned by the filth on television," not to mention our brains, "smooth babies' bottoms unmarred by any concerns for our futures."

I wish I could remember more of her wonderful words, the few I still have are spots of sunshine in my mind, bright reflections of a simpler, yet more dangerous time.

© Copyright 2012 Lisa Katya (UN: lisakatya at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Lisa Katya has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/758257-Metaphors-be-with-you-Aug-10