*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/782146-This-ones-about-styles-of-unhappiness
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1762035
A little bit of everything, colored my own way.
#782146 added May 7, 2013 at 6:30pm
Restrictions: None
This one's about styles of unhappiness.
30DBC PROMPT: "Which form of writing are you most afraid to try? What about it scares you and do you think you will ever attempt it in the future?"

What's up folks? An old school War Chest battle prompt about skills and my lack thereof, that's what's up. The "30-Day Blogging Challenge ON HIATUS hangs one high over the plate, and watch me take a deep cut.

I've probably taken writing in general seriously for about twenty years or so, give or take. I've tried a few things here and there. I know what works for me and what doesn't. To start and succeed is to learn where your comfort zone is. It takes time and effort and yes, occasionally failure.

I can tell you what you will most likely never see me authoring: a novel. Already tried it. A few times. Can't, nae, won't do it. I'm not saying I couldn't, but I won't. One, it'll take me years. And if it's successful (here's how you put the cart in front of the horse), your publisher will want another one, sooner than later. There's an old saying in the music industry that goes something like "You have your whole life to write your first album, and a year to write your second one". And that might be true for musicians, but I know it'd take me forever just to write and edit that first one because I'd be a stickler for detail and all that happy horseshit that goes into writing what you hope would be a masterpiece. I'd be spent and want time off, and then I'd procrastinate as long as possible before trying to start up again. Two, like I said, I've already tried. I think buried somewhere in with all of my personal collections of writings are the starts to at least three different books. Novels, whatever, call them what you will. I get started, spend a few days on them, and get bored quick. I might return to them for a day or two down the road, but I know I've got stuff I started when I was 18, and the 20th anniversary of my 18th birthday is rapidly approaching without me ever having looked at that stuff again. Third, I don't read enough. I know it sounds like an excuse, but I don't, so how does that qualify me to write? Sure, I read blogs, but I write one too, says you, the person who's reading this. And last but not least, I have the attention span of a used diaper. It needs attention, and it's usually full of shit when it gets it. Meaning I would love to write a great American worldwide sensationalistic novel of great noteworthiness, but I fear both its success and failure. I don't know if I could handle either one.

Ya know what I could see though? Hooking up with a fantastic editor and financial backer, and going through both this blog and "I'm Studying You, and cherry-picking the best parts, slapping a title and cover on it, and calling it a book. Doesn't seem like a bad idea, but does any idea that becomes a bad idea ever start out as a bad idea? Nope. Bad ideas are proven through trial and tribulation that they're bad...they're just ideas, because a bad idea at the onset should never even see the light of day. Except the Spice Girls. Whoever green-lighted that idea had all the eyes in the world for talent, and no ear for it. Thankfully, they went away pretty much about as fast as they arrived.

BCF PROMPT: "Do you feel that children should be sheltered from unhappiness?"

'Sup with the child-rearing prompts this month? Y'all know I have no business discussing that, even without the help of legal counsel. But ya know what I'm gonna do? I'll tell you what I'm gonna do, as a favor to the lovelies out there who do read this, I'mma oblige you an answer to this prompt. But you might not like it.

My man Mario Cuomo, some time ago when he was the governor of our mediocre great state of New York, once said, "Life is not joy, but motion." And that's so true. Life isn't always puppies, rainbows, 38D's and free beer. Sometimes it's raccoons, rain, restraining orders and hepatitis. That's not for me to teach your precious children about.

But sometimes, they're gonna fall off their bike. Or there might not be enough cents in a dollar for a candy bar. Mommy and daddy may not always love each other. And sometimes, you're absolutely right that it's ok to be sad once in awhile. Sadness is another part of life that you're gonna encounter one way or the other. There's no game of hopscotch or double-dutch big enough to get away from it.

Now here's where I get scientific...and I was never good at science to begin with (another reason why you shouldn't be allowin' me to give y'all parenting tips). The magnificent Isaac Newton once dropped this gem: "For every action, there is always an equal and opposite reaction." Dude nailed it. Sure, be sad. Be happy. Don't give a damn. Of the three, you're bound to be right at least 33.3% of the time. Remember that, and you'll still be wrong approximately 66.7% of the time, but you might feel a little better about feeling unhappy. And that's my word.

MUSICAL BREAK!!

*Music1* I don't care what anyone says...I stand behind my claim that this song is on one of the greatest albums not only of my generation, but of all time. There will never be another album like Paul's Boutique, ever. (In "Sandlot" voice,) Forrrr-Evvvv-ERRRR. I speak in terms of influence, lyricism, style, and all the other qualities that separate this work from the masses. And when a group has the grapes to sample the almighty Beatles, it's that much better. *Nuclear*



RIP, MCA. *Grave* http://www.bkmag.com/BrooklynAbridged/archives/2013/05/06/there-is-now-an-adam-y...

VITAL STATS:

*Watch* It's totally against my nature to wear watches, but I'd totally rock one of these ('til it turns into a magnet for walls, sharp objects, and paint). http://gothamist.com/2013/05/07/beastie_boys_watch_party.php

Wow, took me longer to bang out today's entry than I thought. Oh well...good thing I've got time today. Gonna see what you cats are up to. Peace, take the long way home, and GOODNIGHT NOW!!


© Copyright 2013 Fivesixer (UN: fivesixer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fivesixer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/782146-This-ones-about-styles-of-unhappiness