*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/798899-Happy-to-be-alive
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1718540
Day to day stuff....a memoir without order.
#798899 added November 28, 2013 at 9:49am
Restrictions: None
Happy to be alive....
Good Morning. Happy Thanksgiving! We have a frost this morning here in Gainesville, Florida...brrrrrr. Mopsy, my kitty, is looking for a sunny spot which means the south-facing windows. The only problem is that the marble sills are freezing!

When we live in Florida so long we tend to forget the differences in construction between here and the Delmarva Peninsula where I was born and grew up. Here, we have no basements. Our wooden homes are raised on concrete slabs which leads to cold, cold floors in cold weather (guess I have cold on the brain this morning). And then, there are the heat registers...they are in the ceiling. All the ductwork runs through the attic...no basement for it. So you in the north have nice warm floors and we in the south have nice warm ceilings...hmmmm. I guess I'm not liking the south too much this morning *Frown*. I think that always happens during our first cold snap *Smile*.

I will be going out in the country to my sister-in-law's for dinner later today. She invited me last year, too, very kind since it was my first year without Jim. I guess we are making a new tradition. She will have a huge crowd since she has lots of grandchildren and great grandchildren. All the children bring a "dish" so there will be all kinds of food. I'm taking something called "pumpkin butter cake bars", which tastes like pumpkin pie on cake. Oh, my.... And I whipped up (literally) some cranberry-honey butter, delish on hot rolls.

I talked to my son in North Dakota last night. He was bundled up next to a wood-burning stove. The word "cold" in North Dakota has an altogether different meaning than anywhere else...makes me very happy I am in Florida. He moves oil rigs and had just gotten back home from a two-week trip to Cheyenne, Wyoming...and that makes me glad that I can stay put in one place.

I am so thankful for my health, my home, my children, grandchildren, and friends this 2013 Thanksgiving Day. And to still have my "wits" about me. Wishing you all the very best!

until next time....c

© Copyright 2013 An apple a day.... (UN: biddle.connie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
An apple a day.... has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/798899-Happy-to-be-alive