*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/813730-A-few-words
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1718540
Day to day stuff....a memoir without order.
#813730 added April 14, 2014 at 8:21am
Restrictions: None
A few words...
Words just haven't been coming lately...not even for a blog. It's not that I'm in the dumps or sad or anything (sometimes, maybe) or that I haven't been doing anything. All my 'gettingoutanddoingthings' come up the first part of the month. And I have gone to them, book club, life history group, WAG meeting, even an oral history group get together. But when I sit down to write about them, nothing pops up.

The things I seem to be enjoying most now are 'alone' things, lying in my swing on the backporch and reading, working outside on the yard in this beautiful weather, and going on my walks. Maybe I'm just recouping somehow.

The writers' group meeting yesterday was devoted entirely to poetry, readings (and song) by two of our own. The musician/poet (Ted Karmazyn) and his wife were delightful. They are Polish but have been here a long time. She played an unusual instrument (never caught the name) with an extraordinary sound and he had a voice that we should have been paying for! He sang his poetry in English and Polish.

The other speaker (Mary Bast) informed us of "found poetry". Not being a poet, this term was new to me. Found poetry is exactly what it says. You find it anywhere, but specifically in all written word. For example, go to the Wedding Announcement section of your newspaper, pick a couple, and with the letters in their names, write a poem...or...take any page from any book, circle words you like and make a poem from them. Many poets do this, Annie Dillard, Ezra Pound.... She had us try it and the results were astounding...poets not necessary.

Unfortunately, we had a 'thin' turnout for this meeting. It's a shame because I think poetry is probably the most real writing we do. I am enjoying Poetry Month. I still haven't found that special poem for the 24th, poem in your pocket day, but I am looking and that's the fun of it.

till next time...c

© Copyright 2014 An apple a day.... (UN: biddle.connie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
An apple a day.... has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/813730-A-few-words