*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/817465-Perhaps-the-best-is-achieved-in-secret-or-by-accident
by Sparky
Rated: 13+ · Book · Experience · #1944136
Some of the strangest things forgotten by that Australian Blog Bloke. 2014
#817465 added May 21, 2014 at 3:30am
Restrictions: None
Perhaps the best is achieved in secret, or by accident...
People / Tradesmen don't like someone watching, unless they know their activity is worth watching or is correctly done etc.
Perhaps writers are the same?

Is the conclusion, that the younger or inexperienced only learn the somewhat traditional and careful methods of doing stuff, but the more risky, the more on the edge stuff is rarely if ever seen done where it's seen.

The person doing it or taking a chance etc is perhaps secretly embarrassed to have their "wrong" or highly controversial, or odd way of doing something come under scrutiny, particularly by someone green to the job. More so this reluctance to have displayed something unorthodox to their experienced peers who may be harsh critics.

Who would want their experiments or potential huge fails witnessed by colleagues who know very well what's the norm, and what's not, in that particular field.

It has been said (by me) that the difference between an apprentice and a good tradesman is not necessarily anything that a few years working on the job won't remedy, but the main difference is that the tradesman can fix up his / her stuff ups successfully, without drama and without surrounding people, particularly cashed up clients realising anything was wrong.

Something I've noticed. If someone is divinely good at something, so good that they are famous, so good that whatever it is they do just seems so easy and natural, after a time, people can become, not bored, but maybe drunk is the word, or overfilled, or saturated, with that performer or artist or skilled person.

This led me to thinking about people who have done things, do things that are one offs.

Are these fantastic moments that really are random, (not pretend "organised" flash mob stuff) but real. Real odd bod JUST HAPPENED TO HAPPEN things. That rare time when all the planets line up, so to speak, and not as part of cog work mechanism, but completely by chance.

It can be so amazing. Indescribably good.

And then after it happens, after the book is read, after the campfire story is told, after that spine tingling performance where the band and singer did everything right and a bit extra as well, after that goose bumpy feeling when you know you've witnessed something unique, something that will never ever happen again; after all this everyone just moves away, walks off, finishes enjoying, goes away, disappears into the sunset.

Everyone leaves the show, takes the book back to the library, gives away the novel to someone else, probably forgets about it until they remember years later with pleasant feelings of that time, performance, read etc..

The casualness of all this, the randomness, nothing organised, nothing planned, no expectations of something great, seems impossible, and yet it happened.

It happened despite all the chance and improbability.

It was a one off.

My point; is this where one off's come in? Is this where those unique events or incidences happen, when stuff falls into place and you wonder how it can be so good?



Sparky

Quills sig

Officially approved Writing.Com Preferred Author logo.

© Copyright 2014 Sparky (UN: sparkyvacdr at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sparky has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/817465-Perhaps-the-best-is-achieved-in-secret-or-by-accident