*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/822121-All-for-the-Greater-Good-Yes--All-for-the-Greater-Good
by Sparky
Rated: 13+ · Book · Experience · #1944136
Some of the strangest things forgotten by that Australian Blog Bloke. 2014
#822121 added July 9, 2014 at 2:41am
Restrictions: None
All for the Greater Good. Yes. All for the Greater Good
There is definitely a sinister aspect to throwing everything in that muddy pond of dubious justification.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0670408/ for the boring details, or the next link for the fantasmical trailer clipsybob.



Yes this quote ("All for the Greater Good", capitals for greater and good) was possibly made even more famous (or overused) by the movie, Hot Fuzz, starring Simon Pegg, and the other excellently memorable characters.
From the zombie film they did, they have understandably soared in popularity. Love their flat out style where the scenes bang from one to the other, with smash impact, and time grabs of just what you need to know. Yes sometimes it feels a bit contrived (somewhat like Crank with it's anime bits)

Back on track.



Is there something lurking behind the scenes in our works, our stories, poems, novels and the like? Have we stepped back, changed awareness gears and really LOOKED at what we've created, overall?
Did we ask some other folks to do this? Reviewers and beta readers would be ideal to help with a wider analysis - that fresh angle of potential discovery.

Perhaps there may be a pleasant discovery; when you find something large but amazing, hiding within your work / story / novel.

An accidental moral, section of plot, unexplored event or relationship.

A sequel or prequel that sticks out a mile during WIP, review, rewrite or external opinion.
(A prequel is a literary, dramatic, or filmic work whose story precedes that of a previous work, by focusing on events that occur before the original narrative.)

Maybe you realise your WIP, if adapted slightly, IS a sequel to a book you've already written. (I have done this myself after the 2013 NaNoWriMo and discovered it would be an ideal prequel to The Influence Gene, but also went on to leave a couple of open ending scenes; bits for a potential book framework I shelved years ago - yes, a prequel)

And you must find the trolls under the bridge in your work, before it turns into a pants-down-pride-pulveriser.
Something unpleasant, something sneaking around in word camouflage, that is oh so wrong; mistaken structural research, appearance of plagiarism, maybe even offensive in some way you never saw (in that wide eyed dewy innocence of all authors and journos).

Hidden details sometimes stare us in the face - they were there all the time; that's what makes the creepiness worse.
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/2014/07/09/08/06/missing-teens-chilling-final-j...

Untapped potential; a message you meant to get across but didn't, a message you did get across but haven't seen it and didn't capitalise on it, or a message sitting there like a huge blob of pus, one of those big zits or waving lumps of mucus that no one tells you about all day at work / school / playgroup / holiday tour, but you see it in the mirror later.

Yes. FACEPALM for sure. Here's the symbol I guess I'll have to use so that you really do get it, you know, because I'm assuming all the readers of stuff are basically dense. *Facepalm* but also *wryexpression* or would be if the e-mote-e-con existed.

How about it then? Is there a stone out of alignment in your precision built mansion of words? Is there a slight shadow that's meh material and yet...yet once people walk to a different spot in the story, or overall view of your published baby, they see it in its REAL light; malicious, sickening, shameful, embarrassing, ego-stroking, and yes, even criminal / Rolfish.

How could you begin all the sentences with the same words for paragraph after paragraph. Wouldn't a good editor pick all that rubbish up? Is it a hidden meaning within?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/271313751224

How do you think you'll feel if they slip up, you don't see it, your voluntary editor friends don't see it, your 16 year old daughter doesn't see it, even your dog doesn't notice the mistakes when it's sitting like a coiled up lump on the dog mat in front of the wood heater.

How terrible it would be, yes. The bruises that come out hours later, or printers, binders, couriers, book-store staff that handle your pride and joy won't even be looking for evidence of a disease, however contagious.

Yes, too many "How" words above this paragraph, but your readers will hear every cough, sneeze, twirl and jolt that you don't realise, because you never drove or walked the journey, and didn't feel the cattle grid ending the the whole chapter.
That character who was meant to be a dumb blonde bimbo suddenly firing up with a cracking sharp retort. (Is this a bilge smelling line?)

Did you say that Tasmania was a state in South Africa?

Maybe it won't be all bad. Maybe you'll just miss out on being a Nobel prize winner, because your book was lukewarm, instead of hot.

Sparky

Officially approved Writing.Com Preferred Author logo.

© Copyright 2014 Sparky (UN: sparkyvacdr at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sparky has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/822121-All-for-the-Greater-Good-Yes--All-for-the-Greater-Good