*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/823155-You-have-the-right-to-remain-opinionated-Anything-you-say--
by Sparky
Rated: 13+ · Book · Experience · #1944136
Some of the strangest things forgotten by that Australian Blog Bloke. 2014
#823155 added July 21, 2014 at 5:59pm
Restrictions: None
You have the right to remain opinionated. Anything you say -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miranda_warning

- can and will be used against you in a web log entry. You have the right to an opinion, but not a disagreeable comment. If you cannot think up an opinion, one will be appointed for you - mine. Do you understand these rights as they have been hinted (commandeered) in your general cyber direction?

On and on, the lameness never rises to the top to be skimmed off, does it? That self deprecating, justifying, custard skin opinion that we can blah out loud to the public, in the public eye, but there comes that time when something happens that puts us back in our box. ( I hide behind "our" now)

Our / my opinion, however pedestal-ised it is, or that I think it is, is CHALLENGED. Oh the audacity.

Well, my secret is out now. I find it hard to remain present and accounted for, particularly in the public eye, when someone challenges something I've said, or written, and wants to argue. I don't want to argue, not because I have no supporting facts, arguments, backbone or courage. Oh, what lame excuses, comes the chorus. Stand by what you write! Stand up for yo'sef! And that's right too.

But, there are times, plenty of them, when you CAN have an opinion, yet quietly withdraw from the kangaroo court obligation to justify or prove your argument / opinion.

It's all about ATTITUDE. You know someone's standing in front of you with a loaded shotgun, ready to let you have it. Their opposition is valid, and they have as much right as you to an opinion, and to demand answers from you, seeing as you've made your views public.

However, you didn't state the opinion to be blasted for it, or for snide sarcasm to fall on your head from the sky of superiority.

Did my opinion do that though, in the first place? By stating it, did I pre-empt someone else's ideas, or ideals. Was I just as sneaky by putting that stuff out there?

There is a time and place, obviously. And I'm guilty of saying things that would be better off not, at the time. But hey, everyone gets that provocation. Everyone falls into the trap sometimes. Everyone says it and then chews their fingernails wishing they hadn't, don't they?

Am I really a coward for not wanting public slanging matches, and even saying all this stuff here?

Is the excuse of being equal with every single other person on Earth sufficient justification?

I'm allowed to have an opinion, and to stand behind it. But I don't have to prove it, or to respond to someone attacking me, just because their opinion is different. My only regret is opinions I have stated in inappropriate places, even if I felt a response was entirely justified.

I feel there is a right and wrong way to debate things. The wrong way is to stoop to humiliation of the person who stated the opinion. The right way, if debate and answers are required, or wanted, is to contact the person and do it in private. Or at least on common ground away from a sensitive place.

As an example of an inappropriate place for debating / arguing; there are posts on FaceBook announcing disasters or some unfortunate incident someone has experienced, someone passing away. Whatever it may be, there is not the place to spout our own ideas, opinions, judgments, ideals or other pointless, unhelpful diatribe. We may feel provoked, and excited by other converse there, but who owns the post? Who owns the page? Who owns the respect?

I apologize for the times I was guilty of this.

As a father, I've learned, often way too late, that my opinion is just one of many. The rightness or wrongness of it is irrelevant. Others have every right to their own, particularly when they grow old enough to be learning their own lessons of cause and effect. Some things take years of experience to change our outlook. I should know.

This blog entry was not written with any family member of mine in mind, but one thing I have to say, is that I'm very proud of our daughter. I wish her every success in her future of writing, whatever direction she chooses. She has the talent, that's for sure, and I feel unable to bask in her glory. Maybe one day my stuff will be as polished and trim as hers.

I post these photos of our daughter's journalistic contribution, acknowledging and thanking

http://www.grangeresources.com.au

, and

http://www.theadvocate.com.au

for their generous sponsorship, and mentoring. Their dedication to youth, and encouraging foresight, should be an example to everyone, everywhere.



https://www.facebook.com/143239419020952/photos/a.143274159017478.25202.14323941...

This is my opinion. And I challenge you to debate it. Come on. Put up your dukes! (Fists and arms held out 1920'ish boxing style)

Sparky

Officially approved Writing.Com Preferred Author logo.

© Copyright 2014 Sparky (UN: sparkyvacdr at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sparky has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/823155-You-have-the-right-to-remain-opinionated-Anything-you-say--