*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/828519-Look-A-reader-Pick-a-book-Any-book-Is-it-ok-Are-you-ok
by Sparky
Rated: 13+ · Book · Experience · #1944136
Some of the strangest things forgotten by that Australian Blog Bloke. 2014
#828519 added September 19, 2014 at 9:52am
Restrictions: None
Look! A reader! Pick a book. Any book. Is it ok? Are you ok?
We should be considering our novels from the scriptwriter / movie director's angle, and the potential expansion of our works into areas that publishers examine.
By reverse engineering from the end user, merchandise, film rights, and other potential marketing goldmines, we can work out where we should focus, and where the market will demand an extension of our scope.

Invalid Photo #1036677

Writers can no longer afford to just write a book and only sell that book.

http://live.huffingtonpost.com/r/segment/simon-baker-the-mentalist-/526801b8fe34...

I didn't know Simon Baker came from Launceston, Tasmania. No wonder he knows so much about what goes on under people's facade. (Coming from down under)

Another helpful article of guidance in another angle that is vital re publishing quality.
Doesn't seem that important, and surely, you could speculate, people couldn't possibly know your mind better then yourself. Does falseness really stick out that much?

http://www.erindorpress.com/2014/08/honesty-in-writing/?utm_content=buffer639c3&...

Then there is this humorous take on the process. Surely this clearly demonstrates each step, and should boost our confidence, knowing beyond doubt that rejection slips don't just happen to us, but everyone shares the enjoyment of them.

http://blog.nathanbransford.com/2012/08/the-publishing-process-in-gif-form.html

I felt this next link that Amay posted in the community newsfeed, was well worth a read. If this is all true, we are in a good position folks. Yes, we are in tune with a cutting edge lifestyle.

http://mic.com/articles/98348/science-shows-writers-have-a-serious-advantage-ove...

Tonight was a night of reflection, attending the Out of the Darkness into the Light Suicide awareness walk in Burnie Tasmania. There were a few hundred people in attendance, a sausage sizzle, raffle tickets, coffee and tea, bottles of water, hats, candles and scarves on sale, all to raise awareness and funds for prevention of suicide.



Lifeline ran the raffles and songs were sung. Two Australian Politicians, Jeremy Rockliffe and Brett Whitely attended with Jeremy reading the "reflection" before the whole group took the walk from Burnie Park, down the main highway to the city.
The local police were helpful in changing the traffic lights to amber, and blocking the road with their cars / lights, so that everyone completed the walk down and back in safety.



A group of people such as this is unique, somewhat sober, and I found, thought provoking. Not just anyone comes to events like this.
No, it seems to be for special sorts of people. People who have lost someone to suicide. People who know someone who has attempted it. People who have known those thoughts themselves.
This large group of people represent lost loved ones. Each person there was there for a reason, not just to come and buy a sausage sandwich.
The tiny battery powered candles everyone carried felt a little like Carols by Candlelight, yet there was an added slap in the face of reality.
There's no happy memories about suicide, I guess, except the ones people cling to when they realise the person wasn't responsible at the time.



At the end of the event tonight, most everyone walked down to the roadside, where a tree was planted to honour the event organisers, this year and last year.

Whatever your take on suicide, be it thinking the person is selfish, attention seeking, or if you feel that no one could be in their right mind at that moment; whatever your view, one things for sure. Nobody laughs about it.

There were stickers available. "RU OK?" (Just ask the question)



When we write a story, I wonder if each and every story we pen poses that question to every reader.

Are you ok?

And every reader that reads books, dog ears the corners, turns the pages hundreds of times, perhaps pencil edits the odd mistake missed by the editors, and generally wears the book out; they, the reader, are really saying, Yes.

Yes. I'm ok.

In this sense, writing and the reading of it take on an importance not initially visible.

So we can look at the end user, what they read, what they wear out the most, what their trends are, and write accordingly. That way we'll know that our question, Are you OK? is being asked of people who may not be ok. We know they may not, because they have searched most diligently, for something in a story to fill their need.



"Help me put the pen down; I don't want to write this story, anymore..."



Sparky

Officially approved Writing.Com Preferred Author logo.

© Copyright 2014 Sparky (UN: sparkyvacdr at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sparky has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/828519-Look-A-reader-Pick-a-book-Any-book-Is-it-ok-Are-you-ok