*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/831035-Out-Of-Favour-Writing-and-Other-Skills--Happy-Thanksgiving
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1966420
Theses are my thoughts and ramblings as I forge my way through this thing they call life.
#831035 added October 13, 2014 at 1:09pm
Restrictions: None
Out Of Favour, Writing and Other Skills & Happy Thanksgiving
Today's blogs...


BLOG CITY – Day 224


Prompt: Think of something (book, movie, song or the like) that you once loved but over time it lost its appeal to you. Tell us about it and why did your feelings for it change.

Lost its appeal... odd, that. Most books I have read I still hold in esteem. Movies and songs are similar. Some even tie into moments in time that I hold dear. If they have fallen out of favour I would think they would slip from my mind and go.

I know there are times I watch a television program and it falls out of appeal... some of the reality shows, fall into this category. The Bachelor is one that I find has become so drama filled that it takes away from the shows original premise. Sure there is drama there, but sometimes I think the producers push the envelop to get people to stay intrigued. It is a turn off.

Some shows fall into less appeal because I get busy with other things and lose sight of the storyline. Revenge was one of those shows. The first season, I was hooked, now, not so much. The same thing happened with Once Upon A Time.

I find I spend more time doing my own writing, I watch less TV and that lets me drift from their storylines and the interest declines.

Border for my personal use.


Welcome To My Reality – Week Forty – Three


5. As a writer, do you write the kind of things you personally like to read?

I would say most definitely. I read a variety of things, but I tend to fall back on romances... though I am partial to stories that develop character and relationships, not simply get it on. I have my favourite romance authors that I admire. Their characters are genuine and authentic - people and places I would love to visit and become friends with. Jill Shalvis is my most admired, but Carly Phillips, Lori Foster and Linda Lael Miller are close behind. Each of them started in Harlequin, I believe, but they have all branched off as they are more substantial than a basic Harlequin.

As I said, I read a variety of genres. Other authors I admire are Barbara Kingslover and Margaret Atwood. I am also enjoying George R. R. Martin's Game of Thrones - though that is going slowly for me.

Interestingly enough, I find I enjoy television programs that fall in the lines of mystery and criminal investigations - I dare say, I could write one of those well, but I do find them intriguing. Right now Gotham, Forever, Sherlock Holmes and Criminal Minds top my viewing pleasure... but then so does Diana Gabladon's Outlander series.

7. Other than writing, what skill (that you already have) would you like to improve?

Drawing is a skill I dabble with. When I take a day to explore the country side I take notebooks that allow writing and sketching. Sometimes words just can't capture the essence of an object the way a sketch of it can. I can try, but sometimes it just falls short. A picture can say so much more.

I also find the mere act of focusing on the intimate details of an object opens me up to trying to capture the description in words and images. Both bring the images and the moment alive for me.

Drawing is also something my mother is great at, though she may not admit it. She loves to play with her watercolours, and now that she is retired, she has taken up classes at the senior center to learn more.

We have had many adventures that include walks and sketching in nature. I treasure those times with my mother. Many of those gifts come from her side of the family - the music (her uncles), the drawing, even the writing (her father's mother). I don't have as strong a knowledge of my father's side, but they are more practical and mechanical in their bent.

Border for my personal use.


30 Day Blogging Challenge


Prosperous Snow celebrating is doing Columbus Day but since we don't celebrate that here in Canada, I am doing a variation.
Thanksgiving Monday... and the things I am grateful for.


Gratitude is an attitude and a practice
Things to be grateful for with each day
But today is Thanksgiving
A day to raise our glasses to all
And give thanks for all the wonders
that comes our way.

First of all is health, both of my own and my family's
Second is the security of home and hearth
Third is for my husband and all that he is
Fourth is for my talents and creative gifts
Fifth is being able to share those with others
Sixth is in the day to day moments of my life
Seventh is for the Country I love and the freedoms I enjoy
Eighth is for my community and its heritage
Ninth is for the world that gives us life and beauty
Tenth is for the Lord that loves and guides me.


I am grateful and I am blessed. May the day be a grateful blessing to all who come to read this.

© Copyright 2014 💙 Carly (UN: carly1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
💙 Carly has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/831035-Out-Of-Favour-Writing-and-Other-Skills--Happy-Thanksgiving