*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/836893-Literature-Enhancement-Book-Trailers--2014-Highlights
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1966420
Theses are my thoughts and ramblings as I forge my way through this thing they call life.
#836893 added December 22, 2014 at 1:55pm
Restrictions: None
Literature Enhancement, Book Trailers & 2014 Highlights
Today's blogs...

Blog City – Day 293


Prompt: In what ways do you think reading literature enhances your outlook on life?

I just finished reading a book, Paris A Love Story by Kati Marton [It is a memoir] that has her quoting from Proust - she talks of his work being a "social commentary" of the "human condition". For her, just getting over the death of her husband, "Proust captures the fluctuation rhythms of loss that I am daily experiencing - grief crashing against a sudden zeal for life."

Truly good literature captures the essence of the human condition. We are drawn in by the authors words and our own resonance with his experience. It lets us know we are not alone and that others have survived or experienced this similar situation.

What constitutes good literature? What makes a work of fiction endure over time? What would you consider good literature that is more contemporary? I would be curious what you think. I am always up for reading possibilities.

I read a lot of romance novels - they are purely escapist and often read when I need a stress break. Mindless and predictable in a way, but I do have my favourite authors I read and they are well written and often bring a chuckle as the characters are memorable and authentic. These are the authors I would like to emulate with my own romantic stories.

I am an eclectic reader. I am also a fan of Jane Austen. Barbara Kingslover is another favourite, as is Margaret Atwood and Margaret Laurence (both Canadian authors). I read fiction and non-fiction. As long as it intrigues me.

What reading intrigues you?

Border for my personal use.


Welcome To My Reality – Week Fifty – Three


6. Book Trailers, just like movie trailers are starting to catch on. What do you think about them? Do you see yourself using this new way to draw readers into your writing? Would you read a book based on a book trailer you saw? If you have not seen a book trailers simply go to your search engine or to YouTube and type in book trailer. I will warn you though not all are created equally so you might want to check out a few. James Patterson one of the NY Times Best Selling authors of all time (with a big publishing house behind him) also uses this form of promoting his books. He has trailers on his official website I believe if you want to see one of that quality.

I have watched book trailers for Lori Foster. She only has a couple but they are both as hot and sensual as her novels. She is a romance novelist. One of my favourites. I enjoy the trailers and they are well done, but I am not sure I would be inclined to make them or use them to draw readers to my own work... but then my stories are not as tantalizing as hers are. Hers also tend to use actors to portray some of the steamy bits.

I checked out a James Patterson book trailer... it was impressive as well.

Both pull you in.

I checked out one... The Selection and was seriously turned off - they used Barbies! It was just too juvenile for me. Like anything, I suppose, you have to find a balance to draw people in and not turn them off.

4. What were the highlights of 2014 for you? What would you keep the same and what would you change if you could?

Highlights for 2014...
I began the year with an LTO in a medically fragile classroom. I was there until the end of February.

I have a writing streak of over 260 days with 750words.com. I expect to continue this streak for as long as I am able.

I have completed Nanowrimo for the 3rd time - this time getting further ahead with my novel that I hope to continue with into the new year. I want to finish this story and edit it. I think it has promise.

I also completed both Nanowrimo camps and Junowrimo this year. I will probably do them again next year as I find it helps to focus me.

I have won several contests on Writing.com which has bolstered my confidence and my abilities.

I have read over 80 books over the course of the year.

I was part of The Game of Thrones Challenge and PDG Alumni Challenges, as well as the Nanowrimo Write-A-Thon. In each case I placed well in my team and worked hard so that our teams did well. I hope to do that again next year.

I have been blogging a lot this year - adding the 30 Day Blogging Challenge and Blog City to Welcome To My Reality. I plan to continue blogging in the new year and expect to add the 30 Day Blogging Challenge back in as I opted out for November and December due to time constraints and a changing of leadership - Fivesixer will be taking us forward in the new year and he will be fabulous in that position.

As I read over my Dear Me 2014 letter - "Dear Me - 2014 - I see that I have accomplished all I set out to do. I expect to continue in this and maybe reach a little higher over the course of 2015.

For now.... I will be happy to put this sinus cold to rest and get healthy again. I hope to take on more challenges next year - both with my writing and my teaching career.

© Copyright 2014 💙 Carly (UN: carly1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
💙 Carly has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/836893-Literature-Enhancement-Book-Trailers--2014-Highlights