*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/838467-A-busy-start
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1718540
Day to day stuff....a memoir without order.
#838467 added January 12, 2015 at 9:24am
Restrictions: None
A busy start...
My book club met last Tuesday to discuss "Still Life with Bread Crumbs" by Anna Quindlan. There was around a 70-30 dissension with me in the "did not especially like it" 30%. I thought it was too predictable and slightly trite. I guess I was looking for another "One True Thing". And the author took the omniscient third person point of view...even the dog had an opinion! I find I cannot get close to any one character with that POV. It was a light read, though, and I did finish it. "The Invention of Wings" by Sue Monk Kidd is next month's selection.

Writing Our Life History met on Thursday, a very very cold day here, with more members showing up than I expected. Everyone had good stories to share. The one I enjoyed most was delivered by our oldest member, Mary, about a car repair. She is such a good writer...she could make mud interesting!

And yesterday I enjoyed listening to a local author at our writers' group monthly program. Sandra Gail Lambert's first novel, "The River's Memory", is filled with wonderful description and sense of place. I am looking forward to a thorough read after hearing some excerpts of lyrical adventure.

Tonight is our writers' group board meeting, the first of the new year. New officers formally take the hand-off and everyone presents their end of year reports and outlook for 2015 (that means "budget" for me). I have a few things to do today to prepare...some printing of reports and the bank reconciliation. Since we have gone to membership payments through Paypal and Createspace for our lit journal (Bacopa), there are a few more things to keep track of, but I am enjoying it and hope I can continue to do a good job. All the board members are volunteers and are so very good at what they do. It seems that money is not the most important incentive after all...a good thing.

It's dreary here this morning, foggy and misty, but warm, sixty-something. Fog makes me feel safe for some reason, like I am in my own special world and nothing can hurt me. Those poets who call it a blanket have it right...a security blanket....

until next time....c

© Copyright 2015 Have a sunshiny day! (UN: biddle.connie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Have a sunshiny day! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/838467-A-busy-start