*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/839384-Six-days-since-the-last-but-Im-a-gonna-write-a-blog-tonight
by Sparky
Rated: 13+ · Book · Experience · #1944136
Some of the strangest things forgotten by that Australian Blog Bloke. 2014
#839384 added January 24, 2015 at 6:46am
Restrictions: None
Six days since the last but I'm a gonna write a blog tonight
Don't jump to conclusions. This is, and isn't about nipples.



When people talk do you note when words sound strange, oddly matched, cliché, wrong and yet right, provoking, annoying, rousing or insensitive?

Do you manipulate words when you sit with time on your hands? Do you think about all the different spellings of similar sounding words, and consider their different meanings?

After noticing a post by someone on 10 Minute novelists (Facebook) about the BBC's proposed changes to English spelling to make it easier for everyone (supposedly) I found this interesting article about words and spelling.

It seems that there are different "depths" to spelling. I wonder if that can also apply to meaning? It seems obvious, but then why are we so ready to fall into the quicksand or other traps of assumption? Why do we do that thing where people then say, "oh that's just your mind- it's in the gutter!" or, "you have a one track mind" etc.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/English_spelling_reform

I was innocently browsing for nipples, but not on the Internet as you have just assumed (maybe) but in the local plumbing fitting / hardware weekend warrior palace.



3/4" Male Brass Nipple

I found the exact one, and it set my mind a thinkin'. Thinking about how many times we hear something, or see something, a situation, read some text, watch someone, see their appearance or whatever incident, and we assume. We jump to conclusions. We do it all the time. We are all, ALL guilty.

If you fiddle with words and their meanings, with grammar and the alternatives, with the phrase construction, the punctuated sentences that change with a simple comma, colon, semi colon or plurality, you can paint very different thought pictures depending on all those attributes and more.



Initial Teaching Alphabet (Thanks Ian McAllister / 10 Minute Novelists - Author page https://www.facebook.com/LostOlympics)

Freedom to express ourselves, freedom to believe what we will, freedom to own land, to earn profit from our own work and brainpower, freedom to teach our children, freedom to be a community run by locals; this must be what we all feel is everyone's right. Right? Do we? Is anyone putting their mental hand up saying no, we don't have a right to any of these things in our law and country's constitution?

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/aid-for-ukraine-and-sanctions-not-appeasement-the-...


Why then, does freedom mean something else when we, or our own country, have a need, or responsibility, to be involved in standing firm on these issues?

Some things can be misunderstood, misspelt, misinterpreted, mistaken, a misfit, and the result for people is, misery.

But common law that applies to all humans should have only one meaning, and interpretation, of the term Freedom.

Freedom.

We can make assumptions about nipples, but not FREEDOM.

FREEDOM belongs to every human. If there is one human on this Earth who isn't free, then really, none of us is free, and there's the irony. While so many strive to be filthy rich and not have to bow to anyone, real freedom and peace, real pleasure only really comes when our fellow human is ok.

Then we are ok. I am ok.

If I was to say this statement "We are opium growers" you could think we were a drug cartel getting rich of other people's (addicts) misery. Well, it's true. This crop is grown here, in Tasmania, and I saw it today. But it's for the pharmaceutical industry and is made into paracetamol products, and other medicinal drugs.



Sparky

Officially approved Writing.Com Preferred Author logo.

© Copyright 2015 Sparky (UN: sparkyvacdr at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sparky has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/839384-Six-days-since-the-last-but-Im-a-gonna-write-a-blog-tonight