*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/841370-Silence-is-one-There-is-another-Universal-Language
by Sparky
Rated: 13+ · Book · Experience · #1944136
Some of the strangest things forgotten by that Australian Blog Bloke. 2014
#841370 added February 16, 2015 at 12:08am
Restrictions: None
Silence is one. There is another. Universal. Language.
Yes, there was a time I wanted to run and hide. But once my ears were numb I didn't notice the fear. THE FEAR.

We flew to Melbourne from the little peaceful Isle of Taswegia for to attend a Tupperware Conference. My wife has demonstrated the many uses of this fantastic product, and has been a culinary lifestyle consultant for a long time. 23 1/2 years showing people how to use each and every item the Orlando based company pedals.



I've accompanied her (been dragged by the earlobe) to other Tupperware "gatherings" before. And there was the biggie on the Gold Coast that felt like we'd booked accommodation seats in heaven for a week. I kid you not. It was that exciting, amazing and positive, I left with a savage purpose to sell the stuff myself! (賞賛は、ロバートソンローズ!- former Australasian MD)

Back to this week- Thursday- there we were, after spending a night in an excellent Motel in the Melbourne CBD called the Nova Stargate, riding in a big yellow taxi straight to the Crown Casino. We were directed up escalators through marble foyers splashing with curtain like fountains and precision built waterfalls, to a huge function room with many seats.

These seats we sat on, and I prepared for an auditory assault on my already aching eardrums, by ONE THOUSAND WOMANS. Yes. WOMANS.

ONE THOUSAND SCREAMING TUPPERWARE LADIES.



And by the end of the day, I was very happy to be among them. It was an indescribable experience that you had to see and hear first hand.

We saw new products. We heard new ideas and procedures. We cheered. We waved cheerleader pom poms. We climbed on chairs and screeched, brayed, shouted and cackled.

And at the last closing minutes, we were shocked to silence.

There was the MD of Tupperware Australia and New Zealand, Stephen Beddoe, enthusiastically piling more and more joyful surprises and fantastic opportunities onto everyone, showing us a movie clip of a bunch of Minis tearing around a city like mad things.

Suddenly, the video stopped, but we heard the engine noise still. There was the smashing of polystyrene wall, and out came the new Tupperware car, A 4 door Mini in black.

For those who manage a few more sales and a recruited consultant group, there is the more upmarket BMW to choose.







Today was our last day in Melbourne, so we went shopping, at the legendary markets. These were only a couple of minutes walk from our Motel, and while browsing the stalls of everything you can imagine, we came across some ladies we'd heard were present in Melbourne for a Tupperware conference themselves.

Yes, 2500 odd ladies from Indonesia, here in the markets. They had name tags on. They wore clothing with Tupperware on the back, so were easy to spot.

They spoke very little English. We spoke no Indonesian. After a couple of digs in the ribs from my wife, I hesitated and tentatively said...."Tup...Tupperware?"

A bunch of them turned and gaped at me, one smiling instantly in recognition. I pointed to my wife. I said..."TUPPERWARE!"

Then they were all clamouring for photos, and we were fairly keen too. They were very friendly, but the thing that stood out to me was, though none of us understood much of the other, we all understood how it was. They sell Tupperware. They are into cooking. They are fun loving, laughing, positive, outgoing people who love to meet people, love to talk, love to enthuse, love to get together with others, love to improve their skills and love praise from their folks for the food they prepare.

.

Yes, we all understood immediately, and it was...it was...a heart-warming experience. I was impressed.

So impressed, that I decided I'd have to share this with literary people. You know the feeling well. That feeling of "togetherness" and "unity" from sharing something. At times that "something" isn't easy to define, but its there. We all share the feeling of what its like to write, to think up plots, to dream up scenes and worlds. We all know how lonely and isolating our ridiculous schemes and hobby can be. We all know the roller coaster ride of reviews, editing, waiting for responses, sharing the good bits and not so good.

We know that universal language of thinking up stuff. That language brings us together, perhaps in not the only way its possible, but in a way that IS remarkable.

It is remarkable because its noticeable, building up, healing, unifying, and all those things that humans need, even the anti social anxious ones like me.

When people go through tough experiences together, it creates a bond that can't happen any other way.

That bond was what we instantly felt with those women in the Melbourne Market.

Someone commented on this video I put on YouTube,



of some of the screaming, singing, happy Tupperware ladies, at the conference, and said,

"All that fuss for a bit of plastic?!"

Well, there's the thing. It's not just plastic is it, if it unites strangers who can't even speak each other's mother tongue, but who are instant, solid, trusting friends?

It's not just plastic. This cookware is a lifestyle; an entire life changing product. Changes for the better.

Yes, trusting friends who ran, rushed to be in photos to take back and share with their people back home. You can hear them say it.

"Look who we met in the middle of Melbourne. Some Australian bloke who said "Tupperware?" to us, and then he pointed to this lady with grey hair, (his mum? My wife *Laugh* ) and said.

"TUPPERWARE!"

So who's ready to have a Tupperware party with their friends, and get lots of free goodies, learn how to use the latest gizmos and tips, all this to basically own in the kitchen?

Who want's their friends to come bashing on the door, trying to get in to the best cooking and fun experience ever?

There must be something to it, to bring people from across the world together?

Do you speak the universal language of Tupperware? Like me, you'll lose your fear of the huge crowds, or even a few people jammed in your lounge room browsing through the latest catalogue. They are having the time of their lives.

Never fear.

Sparky

Officially approved Writing.Com Preferred Author logo.

© Copyright 2015 Sparky (UN: sparkyvacdr at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sparky has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/841370-Silence-is-one-There-is-another-Universal-Language