*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/850843-Crackheads-are-all-we-need-in-this-writing-game-Dadism-then
by Sparky
Rated: 13+ · Book · Experience · #1944136
Some of the strangest things forgotten by that Australian Blog Bloke. 2014
#850843 added June 2, 2015 at 9:22am
Restrictions: None
Crackheads are all we need in this writing game. Dadism then
You have to laugh, sometimes, or you'd crack a wobbly.

When was the last time you had a crack? You have to get out of your comfort zone to really be involved in tackling a work project, or undertaking something new.

This fellow has a crack at people who let ADHD be an excuse, or a result, of slack parenting. Let's not go to the extreme though. Gently does it, especially if kids are anxious and struggling to cope with life.

Why French kids don't have it nearly as much as American kids. Apparently.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/suffer-the-children/201203/why-french-kids-...

Comments on FB on this post.
"It's an interesting read. Did u know that in OZ these days 2 psychiatrists have to make the diagnosis before meds can be prescribed."
+ "Intestinal parasites (a swear word these days?), excessive sugar consumption, added to discouragement of alternative considerations in diagnosis and treatment, also contribute. Excellent article."

A Natural Fix for it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/02/opinion/sunday/a-natural-fix-for-adhd.html?_r=...

But that's not the "crack" I'm talking about. No, not really that meaning.

Here in Australia, its a saying we have.. I'm not sure if its used elsewhere- could be.

When you're "having a crack" means you are trying, attempting, getting off your butt and having a go at whatever endeavour.

Lots of people have a crack at different things.

Tonight I cleaned up the kitchen, seeing as my wife cooked tea. She does a good job. Lamb cutlets and veg. I was a good boy and drank water with some fresh lemon squeezed into it to take away the chlorine / fluoride taste; ok maybe it is in my mind but it seems to cover it up for me. Enjoyable!

So, that's all done. I had a crack at the kitchen. Did the chores you do. Took out the garbage and recycle. Fed the cats (who shouldn't be inside) and then boiled the kettle.





Then, I made milo for my wife, a mug of it for myself, and none for our daughter who was concentrating too hard on study. (Computer game where you are small, go around eating smaller coloured dots until you grow and can consume bigger dots. You can also be eaten- yep exciting)

So, things were quite ok, and I'd had a crack at the tasks, helped a bit like a good boy! I was allowed some cake. Not sure how to struggle through this lot.



But it wasn't always like this.

Last night I was here with our daughter- wife was out at a Tupperware meeting thing.
Well, we tried to concentrate on the stuff in the fridge, but after a while temptation got the better of us. So, down to MacDonald's I drove, to where our local store has the new Build Your Own Burger electronic do dad technological EFT pedestal mounted ordering stations.

They look a bit daunting, but just treat them like they look; a fridge door.
With a bit of scoffingness I tried to order the weirdest DIY burger I could think of for said daughter, because she's a newbie vegetarian. (Doesn't bother me really but I make out it does)

I selected, I poked the screen, I pondered, I scratched my head in wonder and puzzlement. At the end of 2 minutes fiddling, and being glad there was no queue, I realised I'd placed and order for lettuce. That's it. Just lettuce. Oh, AND a meat pattie.

This wouldn't do for a vegetarian, and seriously, I wouldn't do that to her.

After another go, and plenty of chuckling to myself, the tower thing spat out a receipt and the cook out the back started to have a "crack".

The chip fryer was cracking a bit but we didn't (I didn't) order chips / fries. Not healthy, sorry maccas but they just aren't. I get blurred vision after the first couple of mouthfuls of fries so I've stopped eating them.

Here's what I ordered.




Gets these two tasty babies back home, cos hers sounded so yummy I ordered another for myself, even though the ingredients sounded strange. I ordered bacon for mine cos I'm not a vegetarian, but somehow it came with an Angus burger pattie on it too. Shucks.

Sat down right here at my laptop to write as I ate my tea, and I was sat back on my heals. Something wasn't right. Something was having a go at me. Something was having a crack right between my eyes. Right into my nose.

Yes, like small brown emu eggs, there they were.





I learned something that night. Last night. Something basic but profound.

I can't eat my tea in the presence of poo. Yep, there was kitten poo less than a metre (3') away, hidden in the dark shadow cast by the piano keyboard next to my desk here.

There it was, in all its glory. Gravy it was not. Times like this I do a lot of grumbling about why me and whose cats are they anyway?

But a man has to eat while its hot (the burger), so I scruffed some toilet paper from the loo room, bunched a wad of it up so as to protect my fingers, and went into kitten DO attack mode.

The smell would make your eyes water. But, I had to have a crack. And fast. So, squatting down awkwardly, I lunged forward, arm extended with the loo paper like a boxers glove, a baseball player reaching way out.

With my other hand I struck a key on the piano, somewhere in the treble section, so that the sound might distract me from the nasty, nasty odour underlying the smell of original design MacDonald's Built it yourself burger. With tasty and cheddar cheese. And Dijon Mustard. Mmmmmmm. Guacamole. Why does it all have to look like cat poo??!

It was quick and it was rough and tumble. But I got that kitten do and flushed it away. As you do, I washed very thoroughly before resitting for the burger experience.

I had a crack at the kitten too. Nid-a=lee is the culprit, and she decided to add to the chaotic situation by accidentally dragging books, a tissue box of tissues, and another container thingy of paper napkins off the coffee table. It would have been funnier if my burger wasn't so cold by now.

Heaving ourselves away from that moving experience...

Here's another bloke who is having a bit of a crack. (He's making a huge effort)

Adam Ivy's advice-rich Youtube videos.



https://twitter.com/AdamIvy

Reasonably current: 6,094 views 3 months ago

Music artists - here's a quick, feature rich, yet budget-friendly site to upload your music and get it to your many future fans who will be glad they found you.

http://www.jtvdigital.com/

Another block having a crack at changing the whole world, one crack at a time.

"Permaculture" he says "starts in the cracks"



Another man who I think has levelled up well and truly in Dadism stakes, is also having a massive crack; he's revolutionising how people perceive the world. People with Autism. Children with Autism.

Stuart Duncan.

https://twitter.com/autismfather

He's helping those with Autism have the opportunity to better their lifestyle, and in turn, helping those of us without Autism strive to understand better those with Autism.

We hear a lot of criticism of computer games, and I suppose there's a time and place, like everything. But...Minecraft helping kids learn?

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/parenting/is-this-the-best-thing-thats-happened...

Minecraft for those with Autism!
http://www.autcraft.com/

When are you going to stop making excuses, and have a crack at writing something decent? When will you have a crack at being recognised as a respected author?

Life may not be all its cracked up to be, but with writing, you can make it whatever you want. That's what I like about having a crack at this writing caper.

Even Dads like me who enjoy Maccas people scratching their heads at a weird order can have a crack and maybe even succeed one day.

Sparky

Officially approved Writing.Com Preferred Author logo.

© Copyright 2015 Sparky (UN: sparkyvacdr at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sparky has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/850843-Crackheads-are-all-we-need-in-this-writing-game-Dadism-then