*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/857921-Looking-for-Lace-in-Chantilly
Rated: E · Book · Travel · #1779685
I travel the country on business, sometimes the world. Come see where I've been.
#857921 added August 20, 2015 at 10:48pm
Restrictions: None
Looking for Lace in Chantilly
Locale:  Chantilly, Virginia.  It is about 30 miles west of Washington DC in Eastern Virginia.


Places Visited:  I've been to the DC area numerous times.  I cannot believe I never visited the National Cathedral, so decided it was about time I visited it.

Link:  https://www.cathedral.org/

         I don't know a lot about architecture, but I do love looking at buildings that make you gasp.  Such is the National Cathedral, and its Gothic Architecture.  This is the national place of worship for all faiths, though the cathedral itself is an Episcopalian Cathedral.  The exterior walls are adorned with 112 Gargoyles, and 1130 Grotesques.  These help keep the rainwater away from the Limestone walls.  On the northwest corner of the cathedral, you can find a grotesque of Darth Vader if you look close enough.  I snapped a picture of him, but the grotesque is small, so I'm not sure you'd be able to see him in the picture.



         While I was there, a rain shower came through the area, and a double rainbow could be easily seen.  I snapped several pictures of it, but this one was one of my favorites.  It looks like the rainbow disappears into the small cloud in the pic.




Restaurants Dined At/Meals:

         Clare and Don's Beach Shack  http://www.clareanddons.com/

         This place has a very nice atmosphere, and the food is quite good!  Though it's no where near a beach, you'd swear there was one just over the fence that borders the restaurant.  There's a laid back feel here, making you feel very relaxed.  And for the Washington DC area, that's saying quite a bit!  The Dill Pickle Chips were excellent, and while my Jambalaya Pasta wasn't authentic Cajun, it was very good.

         Sweeetwater Tavern  https://www.greatamericanrestaurants.com/sweetwater/sterling

         If you ever dine here, or with this chain, you really need to try the Blue Crab Fritters.  Yummmm!  It's a large place, but they really move people in and out.  I've been there several times in the past, and have never been disappointed.


Other Tidbits for this trip:

         The customer this week is Customs & Border Protection. I saw one of the students Monday, and knew I'd had him in class before.,  It turns out that he was in this class in December, and was so impressed with the material presented in it, that he recommended it to his supervisor, saying more people in this office should attend it.  As a result, I will be back here the week after Labor Day for another class, as well as two weeks later!

         Next week I'm back in Cary, NC for the third time this year, delivering the class I'm teaching this week.  This class isn't taught in the field very often, in fact just twice in the last 13 years.  But by December this year, I will have delivered it seven times in the field.  Amazing if you ask me.  Til then, y'all take care, and remain cool as the summer heat hits us.

© Copyright 2015 Sum1's In San Francisco (UN: jim-d at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sum1's In San Francisco has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/857921-Looking-for-Lace-in-Chantilly