*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/861137-Third-Times-The-Charm-In-Chantilly
Rated: E · Book · Travel · #1779685
I travel the country on business, sometimes the world. Come see where I've been.
#861137 added September 28, 2015 at 7:13am
Restrictions: None
Third Time's The Charm In Chantilly
Locale: Chantilly, Virginia

         I didn't make an entry for my last trip here, so will make it now, and include a few comments about this trip.  This is my third time here, second in three weeks.  I'm delivering the same class each time, a class that is usually delivered about three times a year.  This year, I'm delivering it seven times in the field alone!  And of course, I'm seeing more and more issues with it, things that need to be corrected, etc.  What I have found in doing this, is a profound respect for a school teacher who teaches the same class year after year.  I realize that it's over a year's time, with new students each year, but the same subject(s) all the time?  Wow!


Tourist Activities

         Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center      http://airandspace.si.edu/visit/udvar-hazy-center/

         This is part of the Smithsonian Institute of Museums sitting just south of Dulles Airport, and well worth your time to visit.  It is a bit crowded inside.  Crowded in that if there's a large plane on display, there a small planes tucked in as close as possible.  Entry is free, but parking is $15, so not entirely free.  But is it ever?

         There are quite a few noteworthy displays you can't miss.  An SR-71 Blackbird, Space Shuttle Discovery, The Gondola used for the first balloon flight across the Atlantic, and too many others to remember, or mention here.  One thing I did see, was a large model of the mother-ship from "Close Encounters Of The Third Kind".  However, one of the things I didn't get to see, because it was no longer on display, was a scale model of the Starship Enterprise from Star Trek.

Noteworthy Restaurants:

         The Ice House Cafe    http://www.icehousecafe.com/

         A small place in Herndon, Va, with excellent beer and food.  While I'm cutting down on my beer consumption, I had to have a particular one here.  A Jalapeno IPA.  It was delicious, with the flavor of Jalapeno's without the heat.  For dinner I had the Grilled Ostrich Steak.  While the portion was a bit small, it was excellent.  Nice and lean.

         That's it for now, I will post more later, particularly a couple of photo's I snapped in the museum.  Til then, keep writing, and enjoy the fall!

© Copyright 2015 Sum1's In San Francisco (UN: jim-d at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sum1's In San Francisco has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/861137-Third-Times-The-Charm-In-Chantilly