*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/883395-Arlington-National-Cemetary
Rated: E · Book · Travel · #1779685
I travel the country on business, sometimes the world. Come see where I've been.
#883395 added May 30, 2016 at 9:37am
Restrictions: None
Arlington National Cemetary
Locale:  Washington DC

         When class was done Friday, I drove to Washington DC to visit Arlington National Cemetery.  It was Memorial Day weekend, I wanted to snap some photos of the flags in front of the markers, and just visit the area.  Seeing the changing of the guard at the Tomb Of The Unknowns was also something I really wanted to see.  As the time approached noon, I realized it was getting very hot.  I saw the changing of the guard at 11am, and it was already 90 degrees out.  Normal shift duration is one hour, but in times of excessive heat or cold, it is changed to 30 minutes.  They stand their post 24 / 7 / 365, and never leave for any reason.  They've been ordered to leave during hurricanes (Super Storm Sandy), but have refused, and stood guard no matter what.  They are volunteers, temporarily assigned there from their 'real' duty station.  It takes them 9 months to qualify as a guard.  Their uniform is a synthetic wool blend, and a bit heavy as they wear it.  I was sweating while sitting there, can't imagine what they were going through.









         I'm home this week, and will travel to Colorado Springs next weekend.  It's getting warm out there, so stay cool, and write!

© Copyright 2016 Sum1's In San Francisco (UN: jim-d at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sum1's In San Francisco has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/883395-Arlington-National-Cemetary