*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/884260-Peterson-Air-Force-Base-Colorado-Springs
Rated: E · Book · Travel · #1779685
I travel the country on business, sometimes the world. Come see where I've been.
#884260 added June 10, 2016 at 10:25am
Restrictions: None
Peterson Air Force Base, Colorado Springs
Locale:  Peterson Air Force Base, Colorado Springs, Colorado

         Peterson AFB was my customer this week.  There were only four students in class, two from Peterson AFB, one from Schriever AFB, and one from Cheyenne Mountain.  Both Schriever AFB and Cheyenne Mountain are pretty famous in their own right.  Schriever was the inspiration for scenes in the movie "Contact" (there were scenes of a large radio telescopes scanning the heavens in it), but I'm not sure any parts of it were filmed there.  It's a pretty secretive base, you need a clearance to visit certain areas.  Cheyenne Mountain is even more famous.  It was in the movie "War Games" long ago, but again I doubt any scenes were really filmed there.  Cheyenne Mountain is the home of NORAD, and is a big part of our National Defense Triad.


         The drive out was very interesting, and one I've been wanting to do for a while.  Everyone wondered why I'd want to drive through Kansas or Nebraska.  My answer was, "To see the sights that I haven't seen yet."  I wasn't disappointed.  Yes Virginia (er, Dorothy), the World's Largest Ball of Twine is in Kansas.  Cawker City to be exact.  But sadly, there isn't much else around there.  It was a three hour drive from Kansas City along highway 24 to get there, and there just isn't much else in that area to see.



         The scenery around Colorado Springs is fantastic, if you're a fan of mountains.  Pike's Peak dominates the skyline to the west, but what I really like is the 'Garden Of The Gods', right in Colorado Springs.  Visiting it is always a joy for me.






         Driving home, I took the northern route along I-80 through Nebraska.  There are numerous things to see and do along here, but I just had to stop at the Golden Spike Tower.  When I first saw the signs, I thought of the Golden Spike that was the last spike to be hammered in place when the East and West railroads met.  But I knew that had been in Utah, so figured it was something else.  The Golden Spike Tower sits south of the largest rail yard in the world.  Over 10,000 Rail cars are in this yard, many being moved daily, or being repaired/renovated.




         Next week finds me in Jonesboro Georgia, just south of Atlanta.  Y'all keep on writing, and so will I.  Take care of yourself, it's getting warm out there.

© Copyright 2016 Sum1's In San Francisco (UN: jim-d at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sum1's In San Francisco has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/884260-Peterson-Air-Force-Base-Colorado-Springs