*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/884608-The-Drive-Home-From-Colorado-Springs
Rated: E · Book · Travel · #1779685
I travel the country on business, sometimes the world. Come see where I've been.
#884608 added June 14, 2016 at 7:43am
Restrictions: None
The Drive Home From Colorado Springs
         In driving to Colorado Springs, I chose to go along I-70, after taking Hwy 36 through Missouri.  As I wrote about in my previous entry, I found the world's largest ball of Twine in Cawker City, Kansas.  It's 43 feet in circumference, and was started in the early 50's by a local resident.

         I couldn't drive the same route back, could I?  No!  I chose to drive I-80 through Nebraska instead, and was glad I did.  There are many 'off the wall' sights to be seen along I-80, particularly the Golden Spike Tower in North Platte, and the World's largest collection of Marbles.  But it was in Iowa that I stopped to treat myself to something special.  At exit 86 on I 80, go about one mile south on route 25.  At an intersection on the left hand side of the road, you'll find "Freedom Rock"

         http://www.thefreedomrock.com/

         Artist Ray "Bubba" Sorensen paints this large (about 60 ton) rock every year.  The mural is always about our Veterans, and is his way of thanking the country's Veterans.  I think you can see why it's such a treat for me to visit it.  The link above show you the various mural's he has painted on it over the years, since 1999.



         Then there was one more stop, late in the afternoon in Eastern Iowa.  After all, it was only 2 miles off my route, so I had to stop, didn't I?  Unfortunately they were closed (I expected that), so I didn't get to meet Danielle.  *Smile* 


© Copyright 2016 Sum1's In San Francisco (UN: jim-d at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sum1's In San Francisco has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/884608-The-Drive-Home-From-Colorado-Springs