*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/897847-The-Premier-of-A-Christmas-Carol-Ballet
Rated: E · Book · Personal · #2101955
We live much of life amid unique choices. Joy is anchored in The One beyond our life.
#897847 added November 18, 2016 at 3:43pm
Restrictions: None
The Premier of A Christmas Carol Ballet
PREMIER!!!

A Christmas Carol Ballet is based on the story of A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. The ballet form makes its American debut as it premiers in Georgia, USA, tonight, November 18, 2016 at 7:00 PM, local time.

As Charles Dickens wrote it A Christmas Carol, it is word-heavy, while at the same time being full of imagery. It is the imagery, that lends itself so nicely to a ballet format.

We open with Bob Cratchit and Mr. Scrooge in the counting house. Mr. Scrooge chastens Cratchit for his lack of initiative through the use of gestures, only, finally leaving for home with an imperative SLAM of the door. At that moment even the counting house becomes a place of rest for Bob Cratchit because Mr. Scrooge is no longer there to oversee any lack of efficiency, real or imagined.

What follows is a beautiful, emotive dance as the lowly employee collects his thoughts, steadies his emotions and prepares to return to the family he so loves to enjoy the wondrous and glorious day-off, known as Christmas. Bob Cratchit finally settles back into his work desk as the scene is blacked out.

The two pieces of scenery are wheeled into the wings to reveal a large space for the first street scene, which is made of many colorful characters and one moody old Scrooge, who ultimately and summarily dismisses them all on his way to his lonely old haven of his drafty mansion. As he locks up for the night he finds a chair in which to ensconce himself to eat his nightly helping of cold gruel after which he goes to bed.

Intense strains of Tchaikovsky's Sixth Symphony build to a strong and jarring sfor·zan·do as Mr. Scrooge first lays eyes on the ghost of his long-dead partner, Jacob Marley, who pays him an unwelcome visit. Marley's minions enter to tie up Scrooge with chains. When they all leave, Scrooge is left alone to contemplate his life and the impending visits of "three spirits."

As the story unfolds The Ghost of Christmas Past introduces the visions of the Christmas Party thrown by the magnanimous old Mr. Fezziwig, his former boss. He sees visions of Belle, the beautiful young lady he once loved. He remembers how he lost her to the greed of his Ledger book. He starts to see how he turned into the crotchety, irascible old miser, that he is today.

Love lost in the past, denial of generosity in the present and the possibility of a hopeless future change old Mr. Scrooge in one night from a hopeless, angry miser into a loving, magnanimous young soul.

One wonders how is it possible to tell such a story, mostly in pantomime, but Jurijs Safonovs has achieved just that in this modern rendering of the beloved Christmas tale!

This weekend is sure to be unique at the Emma Kelly Theater in Statesboro, Georgia.

Please, come! :D

 
STATIC
The Christmas Carol Ballet  (E)
"The Christmas Carol" by Charles Dickens has been a holiday staple. Now, dance to it!
#2102975 by Jay O'Toole


This is my first signature.

© Copyright 2016 Jay O'Toole (UN: 777stan at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jay O'Toole has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/897847-The-Premier-of-A-Christmas-Carol-Ballet