*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/900074-Self-Reliance-Equals-Confidence
Rated: 13+ · Book · Activity · #2056808
This contains entries to Take up Your Cross, Space Blog, Blog City PF and BC of Friends
#900074 added December 23, 2016 at 2:15am
Restrictions: None
Self-Reliance Equals Confidence
"Self-Reliance Equals Confidence

What is self-reliance? I'm sure self-reliance has different meanings to different individuals. To me self-reliance is the unequivocal knowledge that I can take care of my own needs if I have too. I've been a widower for over two years now. I've spent a year of that time living in complete solitude with the exception of the folks I talk to online and the occasional trip to the store. I have come to realize that while it is indeed difficult at best to take care of myself, it's not totally impossible. I called the other day and inquired about a worker to come to my home and help with light housework. None of the senior citizen agencies were able to assist because you have to be unable to bathe yourself, shave yourself, dress yourself, or use the bathroom by yourself to qualify. If I had those issues I'd be in a nursing home! So I'll take care of my own housework, even if it means running the risk of an occasional fall.

Another definition of self-reliance to me is self-confidence. My family ridiculed me all my life for believing I would one day publish a book. They often told me that the only way I'd ever publish anything was to pay a publisher to print my work. In spite of their insults I continued to chip away at the writing career. Decades went by but I refused to give up because I knew I would be traditionally published. In 2003 I finally reached my goal and published my first book. I published a second in 2005 and two more, including one hard back in 2010. I knew I would do it. Now my family knows it as well.

© Copyright 2016 Chris Breva (UN: marvinschrebe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Chris Breva has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/900074-Self-Reliance-Equals-Confidence