*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/906886-The-Challenge-of-Learning-a-Part
Rated: E · Book · Personal · #2101955
We live much of life amid unique choices. Joy is anchored in The One beyond our life.
#906886 added March 15, 2017 at 3:54pm
Restrictions: None
The Challenge of Learning a Part
Being in a performance, such as a play, a movie, a choir or band concert, and even a solo in a small group, can seem glamorous, but there is a great deal of work before it's time to "break a leg."

Small support roles may seem as easy as getting out of bed in the morning. However, small roles require actors, who know what they're doing.

As the old saying goes, "There are no small roles, only small actors." This means that even the background actors, (who are sometimes called "extras" or "environment" or "furniture") with no spoken parts need to have a sense of accurate timing for the performance to appear real, and not just some hilarious version of "camp theater."

Most of my roles have performed have been in the category, "type cast." My most consistent profession in life has been that of teacher. Therefore, I have played the parts of mostly professional men and professors.

In my first play, White Christmas, the Musical, I played the part of Ralph Sheldrake, the director of a TV station.

In my second play, The Diary of Anne Frank, I played the part of Dr. Düssel, the dentist.

In the Cotton Patch Gospel I was Matthew, the Narrator.

On Mother's Day weekend about four years ago in I Remember Mama I played the part of Papa. I guess we could call that my biggest part, yet. However, for the sheer number of words I had about 30% to 40% as many as did the role of Mama, if I had that many. (This was a part with a vocal accent. That is always a wonderful challenge.)

In June of last year I was in only one scene of the play, The Miracle Worker. However, it was the important role of headmaster of the Perkins School for the Blind in Boston. My role introduced the main character, Ann Sullivan, Helen Keller's teacher. (Again, this role sported a slight German accent. Not everyone can affect the voice accurately with a secondary accent, but I do love trying.)

How did I learn each of these parts? Well, I had to write out my words, long-hand, with pen and paper. This was not a requirement of my director, but it was something I knew I needed to do in order to memorize the part, affixing it in the short-version of the long-term memory. (I can't go back and reprise my roles without relearning some of the lines, but there are still some lines that are stuck in my long-term memory.)

I have, also, found it to be helpful to read my parts, out-loud, before I go to bed at night. That way my body's sleep-mode will help the memorization process.

O, I'm sure there will be more to tell, but for now, I am memorizing the parts of Mr. Webb, the editor of the Grover's Corners Sentinel in the play, Our Town and Professor Kirke in The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe. The editor has more lines and action than does the professor. Also, Our Town performs next month. Therefore, I have to focus on that part right now.

Learning a part is great fun!

Do I still get nervous when I act? I better get nervous or I will be boring as one director put it back in high school or college.

I have learned that a little stage fright is a good thing. It shows you respect what you are doing as an actor. "Butterflies in the stomach" are still a concern, but at least I have learned how to teach them to fly in formation,...at least most of the time.

by Jay O'Toole
on March 15th, 2017

Here is yet another signature, that has been provided for me by my good friends, WS & GG.

© Copyright 2017 Jay O'Toole (UN: 777stan at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jay O'Toole has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/906886-The-Challenge-of-Learning-a-Part