*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/937400-4th-of-July-Musings
Rated: GC · Book · Personal · #1051691
Life, Adventure, Family, Writing what else is there? Random thoughts.
#937400 added July 4, 2018 at 12:26pm
Restrictions: None
4th of July Musings
Well, it's the 4th. Boys are still sleeping. Hubby wanted to leave for Pismo at 9 am. *Laugh* He's still sleeping. Mapquest puts the journey at 2 hours and 45 mins. I'm in no rush. I'll probably get him up after I'm done with my blog entry.

HARRY POTTER
I just rewatched Harry Potter 4-7 movies. Why? Well, I'm on vacay and I'm relaxing. lol. The stuff with Snape's tear and the pensive in Part 2 breaks my heart. I still tear up. The book is more poignant. Snape is such a fascinating character, but his true nature doesn't really come out until Harry looks in the pensive. It's heartbreaking.

Another heartbreaking movie moment is in the HUNGER GAMES (movie #1) where Rue and Katniss are planning against the other tributes and one "baddie" throws a spear at them. Katniss whips out an arrow, but it's too late and Rue is killed. Heartbreaking. I keep tearing up on that moment, too. Rue is such a sweet soul to be put in such a horrid game and Katniss's humanity and sorrow reveal just how passionately she "feels."

MUSINGS ON THE 4TH

Fireworks


One of my all time favorite things to do was go to Catalina Island (Avalon) for the 4th. I loved hearing the USC marching band open up the holiday themed golf car parade. I enjoyed watching the parade. Grilling for dinner and watching fireworks on the beach. It's a long story but we haven't done that since 2012. Last year was patricianly vile as sent DH to the in laws with my 10 yr old for food and fireworks. I elected to stay home with the dog who had such a hard time with fireworks. I fed her a tranquilizer, ordered Dominos and watched Storage Wars the entire time. I *think* the 4th should be a family/friend orientated holiday, and I'll leave it at that.

Having served in the U.S. Armed Forces, the 4th is a patriotic and fun holiday. I remember in 1991, a lot of units were coming back from Gulf War 1. I was in Germany at the time, had the day off, and went to visit friends in Berlin. My friend's unit was having a picnic/BBQ at a local park and invited us. It was a ton of fun. Friendship and Fellowship is what it's all about. I think it's really easy to lose sight of that.

Question for you: What's your favorite thing to do/or eat on the 4th.

PS -- Thinking of that I know it's time for the Nathan's hot dog eating contest. Can anyone beat Joey Chestnut's 72 hot dog record??

© Copyright 2018 StephBee (UN: sgcardin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
StephBee has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/937400-4th-of-July-Musings