*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/944705-Studying-in-Schaumburg
Rated: E · Book · Travel · #1779685
I travel the country on business, sometimes the world. Come see where I've been.
#944705 added November 2, 2018 at 6:40am
Restrictions: None
Studying in Schaumburg
Date: Week of Octorber 29th


Locale:  Schaumburg, Illinois


         This week I'm in Schaumburg.  Again.  <Groan>  Okay, not really groaning, but since moving to Central Illinois, I have gotten used to a more laid back lifestyle.  Coming north to Schaumburg is a completely different world!


         The reason I'm up here this week is not to deliver a class, but to 're-learn' one, so-to-speak.  This class was heavily revised 4-5 years ago, with new equipment added.  Plus, I've not delivered this class in 7-8 years, and am scheduled to deliver it three times in four weeks at the beginning of 2018.  Thus, time to study and learn.  Again.


         This is a basic Networking Class.  Our modern radio systems use TCP/IP Networking to connect remote radio sites to a 'Master Site', or Core.  The technicians who maintain these systems need to know how to troubleshoot networking issues, as well as replace a network switch or router when one fails.  This class covers topics like that, and uses generic network equipment that is not really specific to our systems.  We have an additional class that covers our systems, the IP addressing used, as well as system operation and maintenance.  That course I still deliver, but have not taught it since July 2018.  Why, or how is it that I can go so long without delivering it?  Well, when I came to Motorola, for some reason, I learned a wide variety of courses that contain different technologies and such.  Most instructors deliver a few courses that are connected.  You know how it is.  The Hip Bone connects to the Thigh Bone, the thigh bone connects to the knee.... *Smile*  What I'm saying is, my courses seem to jump around, and I'm scheduled to deliver what is needed.  Plus, there are about 6-7 of us who deliver that particular networking course, so it's easy to find yourself 'off on a tangent' in delivery.  But, it's all good, a job I love, and I'm still employed!


         I was here last week delivering a class, and in the process discovered that 'we' (most probably me) made a small mistake when we upgraded a small system recently.  Why do I say me?  Because I'm the one who did the upgrade, and installed all the software on this computer.  Anyway, I ended up installing two databases on this PC, both of them SQL databases,  And as Murphy would have it, the two databases don't play well together.  What I really mean is, they use the same Ports on the PC, and cause conflicts.  Right now, I can't open one of the databases, and that's the one I really need.  The other is nice to have, but not really necessary on this system.  As a result, I will come back here next week for a day or so, and completely reload that computer.  Yep, I'll reload Windows 10, install upgrades, 'harden' the operating system, and make it work again.  After that, I'll be back here the following week to deliver another class, a basic RF theory class.



In Closing

         I will spend the weekend at home, be here part of next week, and the following week.  Til next time, be good to yourselves and those you love, and WRITE!



Jim Dorrell

© Copyright 2018 Sum1's In San Francisco (UN: jim-d at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sum1's In San Francisco has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/944705-Studying-in-Schaumburg