*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/956304-El-Paso-Tx
Rated: E · Book · Travel · #1779685
I travel the country on business, sometimes the world. Come see where I've been.
#956304 added April 10, 2019 at 11:20pm
Restrictions: None
El Paso, Tx
Date: Week of September 10th


Locale: El Paso, Texas


         This week finds me in El Paso Texas working with Yselta Del Sur Pueblo.  It's a short, two-day class that I have a lot of fun delivering.  Since spring is here and the weather has turned warmer, I decided to drive.  What a fund drive it was too!

         My route took me down I-44 through Missouri and Oklahoma, then west on I-40 to Amarillo, then SW along state highways through Western Texas and Eastern New Mexico.  In planning this drive, there were a few places I really wanted to visit.

         I made a list of places to visit based on the route, with the first one being 'Larry Baggett's Trail Of Tears Memorial.  It's a small homemade memorial for the Trail of Tears on State Route D, accessed from exit 172 on I-44.  It is a very unique memorial, beautiful in its own way.  The second place to visit, was the Uranus Fudge Factory.  It is there that you can get fresh fudge, packed daily, in Uranus!  You can see the obvious play on words, and they use it to the hilt there.  I bought a pound of fudge at the chocolate factory, and the young woman at the register thanked me for picking Uranus.  I looked at her and said, "I always love visiting Uranus and seeing what I can pick out for myself."  I know.....  I know.. ..  But I couldn't resist.

         The next stop was Geronimo's grave at Fort Sill, Oklahoma.  I have felt a strong desire to visit him since learning his gravesite was there, so this was almost a must for me.  The final place to visit on this drive was the McGinn Pistachio farm in Alamogordo, New Mexico.  It's the home of the world's largest Pistachio, standing almost 40 feet tall!  A fun place to visit, especially if you like nuts.


Photo's From Visit:


Entrance To Larry Baggett's Trail of Tears Memorial


A Touching Sign At The Entrance to Larry Baggett's Memorial


Geronimo's Grave



Historic/Interesting Places Visited:

         Larry Baggett's Trail Of Tears Memorial - No website for this beautiful place.


         Geronimo's Grave - No website for Geronimo's Grave, but if you want to visit, just go to Google maps and search for it.


         McGinn's Pistachioland          http://www.worldslargestpistachio.com/          A bit of unique place to visit,.  Nice place to shop for gifts, or find some Pistachio's, Wine, or other small gifts for friends or loved ones.



In Closing

         I will spend the weekend in New Mexico, staying in Las Cruces and Albuquerque while I visit the state I love, and plan to retire to in a few years.  Til next time, be good to yourselves and those you love, and WRITE!



Jim Dorrell

© Copyright 2019 Sum1's In San Francisco (UN: jim-d at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sum1's In San Francisco has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/956304-El-Paso-Tx