*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/959568-Hiring-a-Contractor
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1718540
Day to day stuff....a memoir without order.
#959568 added June 30, 2019 at 10:32am
Restrictions: None
Hiring a Contractor
My husband, who passed away in 2012, always took care of any maintenance on our home. Either he did it or he hired someone to do it. It seemed not a big deal when he was doing it, but now that I have to deal with it, reality has arrived.

I've had to make the decision on having several things done and who to do them in the years since his death. Some decisions have been okay and some have not. I remembered he would always get three bids on any big job so I try to do that too. I never remember him giving contractors any advance payments but he may have and I didn't know it. Now, that seems to be a standard policy...30% minimum of the contract price. And always make sure they have general liability and workmen's comp. But how do you really know they will do a good job, and do it within a reasonable amount of time? Sure, you can get a written contract, but how do you enforce it when things go wrong?

Even friends' recommendations have turned out badly. But saying anything is not a good idea...if you want to keep your friends. You can check out some things on the internet but who knows if they are true or not. Have you seen all those 5 star reviews? Are they real?

I'm looking for an exterior painting contractor. Our house was last painted in 2005 so it is due, and showing it. I talked to my fourth painter today because one thing or another wasn't agreeable with the other three. And this one had alcohol on his breath. He's to email me his bid sometime next week. I'd like to say forget it all but that's not a possible solution.

© Copyright 2019 Have a sunshiny day! (UN: biddle.connie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Have a sunshiny day! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/959568-Hiring-a-Contractor