Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1705960
Rated: 18+ · Message Forum · Community · #1282022
Forum for all horror movie fans.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Apr 12, 2008 at 1:56am
Cannibal Holocaust
by M. R. K
Some of you may have heard of this whispered among horror fans, most probably have not. Well, I finally got around to seeing it today, and there's a reason that it's only a whisper in the dark.

Shot in the seventies I believe, this is a film which really pushes the boundaries of what viewers can stand. The basic plot is, four documentary filmmakers go off to make a film about cannibals. They don't come back. A rescue team is sent in to find them, and instead, they recover the left over footage of the filmmakers. Through viewing the footage, we find out just what happened to the team of four.

What I loved about this film were the multiple themes/moralistic lessons playing just under the surface. The makers of the film certainly had something to say about our civilization, posing the question that maybe we are the primitive savages, a race which has lost our values and morals. I also found the effects to be unbelievable in the film. For instance, there is a scene where two characters kill and gut a tortoise, and I honestly cannot tell you if it was real or not. For all I know, it was, because it certainly sickened me, and fake gore generally doesn't do that.

What I had trouble with in the film was just how far it pushes the boundaries. Usually, I love a film which goes as far as it can go, but there are times when it's TOO far. Here you'll find multiple scenes of rape, beheadings, gutting, sodomy, and even a scene which left me happy to still have a certain appendage if you know what I mean. For me, I find it hard to accept gore when I think it's done with no other intention other than to disgust. There is a difference between terrifying gore and disgusting gore. The film has a combination of both. I definately don't reccomend it to anyone who is not a dedicated horror fan, as I myself found it hard to watch at times, and I'm pretty much immune to these types of films now.

All in all, I don't think this is something worth owning, but if you want to see a film that you'll never forget, whether that be a good thing or bad, give it a look.

Your friend from the Abyss,

-Matt

When you look into the Abyss, the Abyss also looks into you

-Nietzsche

Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1404674 by Not Available.

Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1405280 by Not Available.

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Cannibal Holocaust · 04-12-08 1:56am
by M. R. K

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Pennywise.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1705960