No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Message Forum · Fantasy · #1339130
For the campfire, "Waylon's Crossing"
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Sep 10, 2009 at 9:37pm
Re: Important! Please Read
by Andante
I have to admit, I'm not entirely positive where this came from. I read back through the last few additions and could not find any clear cases where any of us were meta-gaming. The only places I could see where we were controlling one another's characters were in necessary situations, such as scenes with multiple characters wherein characters must speak with one another, interact, cooperate, etc.

So lacking a specific example, I'm left to conclude that such cases are precisely what you are referring to when you ask us not to meta-game or control one another's characters. Which then begs the question... Are we then to write additions not only from a single point of view (which it seems like we've been doing) but also featuring only a single character, with no interaction of any kind with other characters?

Also, I have to disagree somewhat with this statement: "It is a matter of etiquette that in campfires we only describe events from our own character's point of view (POV)." I think that is true in YOUR campfires, and in campfires like it, where the stories are being run more like roleplaying games. But it is not true of every campfire; I've seen several---and have run a few myself---where participants introduce new characters to show how they think, act and speak, and then everyone shares the characters to encourage fluidity in the story. There is not only one single way to handle characters in campfires, although there are certainly ways that work better in some campfires than others.

In any case, can you give us a more concrete example of what we were doing wrong, since it is bothering you enough that you contemplating deleting posts or kicking people out rather than see it continue? If it's something I'm doing, for instance, I'd like to know so that I can either decide to stop, or decide to quit.
MESSAGE THREAD
Important! Please Read · 09-10-09 9:02pm
by KC under the midnight sun
*Star* Re: Important! Please Read · 09-10-09 9:37pm
by Andante

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Raiza (Djourn).
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1966113