(337)
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Contest · #896794
Enter your story of 300 words or less.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jan 10, 2013 at 4:55pm
The Unwanted Guest
by gary
The clock had long since chimed 2:00 A.M. The humidity refused to give. Sleep became a seldom-found treasure, during those seasons of vexing.

I wandered aimlessly to the back porch after one final skirmish with my enemy, melancholy. Thinking, maybe the warm early morning air might send him packing.

Each year he came as an uninvited house guest. He lied next to me, making sure no sleep came throughout the murky hours of darkness. He took my chair at the breakfast and forbid me a bite.
He visited me with his afflictions as long as I could remember. As a child, I recollected sitting on my grandmother’s porch, in late September. Watching the waves of heat as they made their way down the little meandering road. Without warning, he appeared as if surfing the waves. He always wore a crooked smile on his distorted face, his pants baggy with huge pockets. To my dismay I learned this was where he kept the blues.

Just before daybreak he joined me as I gaze upward into the heavens.

“Summer is dying,I will put an end to her while you gaze idly into the celestial. I will assassinate her, just like the others. There isn’t anything you can do.” His nasty breath and words brought a gloom to my soul.

Without warning, he directs a drama only I can see. The trees reaching heavenly in my back yard are stripped naked and left shivering in a cold winter wind. The grass begins to crunch and then gives way under my feet turning brittle. It no longer can endure the freezing torture. Even the moon becomes pale and shudders this strange September morn. I turned back to my door ,a tear in my eye. Surely nothing good comes from such a night.
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
The Unwanted Guest · 01-10-13 4:55pm
by gary

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Arakun the twisted raccoon.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2481606