(337)
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Contest · #896794
Enter your story of 300 words or less.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jan 11, 2013 at 1:39pm
Entry 1/11/13 'Ring This Gift'
by A Non-Existent User

Dave needed no reminding that today his prayers would be either answered or like so many before, forever lost upon the seas of wandering desires. This didn’t stop Josie from eagerly announcing just how vital the next hour would be.

“Don’t you think you should’ve brought a gift or something?” Josie said as she held open the door leading into the wizard’s tower, the place where Dave’s test would be conducted.

“What? Do you think I can trade a piece of Mrs. Smirle’s fig candy for a diploma,” retorted Dave with a palpable air of irritation.

Dave never understood Josie’s approach to life. She seemed to loft an incorrigible amount of pointless enthusiasm towards whatever life presented. He often wondered if she had a sign above her bed, prominently situated as the first sight to her waking eyes, reading: “I will have fun today!” That seemed to be the lump sum of her philosophy, and no doubt as Dave reflected, the reason she had yet to receive her own diploma from the revered wizard’s council.

“Here,” said Josie as she tossed a curious ring at Dave.

Nearly dropping it, having already the nerves of a hurricane, Dave began to examine it. It was round, as one might expect, though there was something odd about it. It bore the sign of the high wizard’s council; something found only on the rings of the council members, the same ones who would be testing him.

“Josie,” Dave yelled.

“Where did you get this?”

“I found it under the wizard’s garden bridge,” Josie said with a smile.

“It must be the one Yorick lost a few weeks ago,” she explained.

“Consider it a compromise in lieu of Mrs. Smirle’s fig cookies.”

WORD COUNT: 287
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Entry 1/11/13 'Ring This Gift' · 01-11-13 1:39pm
by A Non-Existent User

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Arakun the twisted raccoon.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2481859