*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2540823
Rated: 18+ · Message Forum · Contest · #1931562
My blog. Sometimes abstruse musings and rants!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jul 2, 2013 at 6:24pm
My Second Love or...?
JULY 2 PROMPT: Do you know a second (or third, or fourth, etc ...) language? Would you like to learn a new language? Why or why not? If yes, which would you like to learn?

11 Participants! Lot of reading to do, contest to run, writing to do! This place is killing me! Anyway on to the entry:

“Words are pale shadows of forgotten names. As names have power, words have power. Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts.” - Patrick Rothfuss

You may blame me for romanticizing a simple prompt, but I don’t care. Because each word below is true. If you have read my blog before, you would know that my first love is English. It is the only language I can claim to know. I love speaking English, I love writing in English and I’d love to know more about it. But you know what, French is my dirty mistress*Laugh*. I am not married to it, i.e. I don’t know much of it, I haven’t ever written even a sentence in French. It is like the girl you see one fine day in a bar, the girl whose number you forget to take, the one who leaves you enchanted even though you talk for only five minutes… (Random fact: The word ‘enchanted’ also has French origins!)

I felt romanticizing this post would be appropriate because French is a Romantic language. Not that kind of romantic (What a clever play on words Jack!). Romantic refers to the Latin, more specifically Roman origin of French. Enough tech talk. I just love the French pronunciations. They’re so… different, unique. Mind you, they aren’t easy on the tongue if you aren’t a native speaker. This challenging nature appeals to me. I didn’t get the opportunity to study it in school and it is not officially Bucket List item #1.

I know what comes to mind when people think of this language. Pretentious, snobbish. When I told my friends about this love of mine, they were all “You want to sound different, exclusive. Why are you trying to be one of the showy crowds? Blah…” You know what, I understand that people want to speak French so that they sound sophisticated, but I am not one of them. Sophistication has never been my thing really. I am, plainly put, a lover of the languages. English, French, Spanish, Italian… I want to study them all. Although I may only know some words and phrases only right now, but I want to know more, heck I will learn more, come whatever may. Even now I can see myself, standing underneath the Eiffel Tower, deep in conversation with an artist trying to capture its magnificence, a poet being inspired by it and a young man on his knee proposing to his beloved, everyone speaking French. The perfect world.

*As I read the last paragraph again, I realize that it was my cue to leave. I was just in that kind of mood today. Au revoir amis!

MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
My Second Love or...? · 07-02-13 6:24pm
by Jack-check out 7YS
Re: My Second Love or...? · 07-02-13 6:35pm
by Elle - on hiatus
Re: Re: My Second Love or...? · 07-02-13 6:38pm
by Jack-check out 7YS
Re: Re: Re: My Second Love or...? · 07-02-13 7:13pm
by Elle - on hiatus
Re: My Second Love or...? · 07-02-13 9:06pm
by WyrdNaos Trippin' on Yello
Re: Re: My Second Love or...? · 07-05-13 3:33am
by Jack-check out 7YS

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Jack-check out 7YS.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2540823