*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3649511
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(683)
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing.Com · #100931
A message forum for general discussion. Please come and chat with others!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
May 3, 2024 at 10:42pm
Re: Quotes
by s
Of the many things I used to collect, quotes was one. In the early 2010s, however, I discovered so many quotes were either misquotations, misattributions, apocryphal or just a mess. This turned me off my collection (23 notebooks, amounting to around 30000 of them).

I have to say, I don't mind a movie quote in a work, as it can set a person's personality by the films they like, or, if noted as being current, a time period, or the sort of culture they live in. Someone from Tennessee is not going to be quoting the film Kenny and have his friends know what he means, for example.

So, in answer to the questions:
*Questiongr* Where do you most often see quotes?
         Movie quotes or book quotes in YA works, but they seem to have really fallen out of fashion. Maybe it's because some creators get all too happy with accusations of stealing or misusing their intellectual property (e.g. Disney). I also see quotes in creative non-fiction, supporting arguments or being used in a manner that benefits the argument. Obviously, in academic or formal essays as well.
*Questiongr* Do you prefer shorter or longer quotes?
         Shorter to medium length. A long quote does feel like a writer is not trying to think for themselves (in my opinion).
*Questiongr* How do you use quotes in the writing process?
         I tend not to in my fiction. Maybe a movie quote here or there, maybe a book or play quote, but that's about it. In my non-fiction, only to support my arguments, and I completely reference them.
*Questiongr* Do you think quotes can be misleading in any way?
         Oh yes. Using them out of context - which happens all the time in the media and politics - can make people seem to support something they do not.

I hope I've understood the questions correctly. Thanks for this intriguing topic.
MESSAGE THREAD
Quotes · 05-03-24 9:49pm
by Elisa the Bunny Stik
Re: Quotes · 05-03-24 10:36pm
by BIG BAD WOLF is hopping
*Star* Re: Quotes · 05-03-24 10:42pm
by s
Re: Re: Quotes · 05-04-24 9:56pm
by Elisa the Bunny Stik
Re: Quotes · 05-03-24 10:49pm
by Dawn Embers
Re: Re: Quotes · 05-06-24 5:09pm
by Elisa the Bunny Stik

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Writing.Com Support.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3649511