*Magnify*
Path to this Chapter:
  1. Hell in the air
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1173805-Secret-War/cid/356158-Hell-in-the-air
Rated: 13+ · Interactive · Action/Adventure · #1173805
What happened to the soldiers who didn't fight on the front?
Chapter #1

Hell in the air

    by: Onlooker
I bet when you were in school you’ve learnt about the WWII? I bet you learnt about soldiers that went and dyed for the queen and country happily and the Germans were a blood thirsty gang of Nazis with no care of life?

Bet you didn’t know for many of us Queen and country left us for dead. This is my story and the story of my platoon. I was a rifleman in platoon Back Alley. We were supposed to attack Germany from the south. Take them by surprise. “Catch them with their pants down.”

Apparently, they had expected this. We were going to be air dropped in and take Munich. As we swooped round to take it, their guns opened fired. I’d only ever heard our rifles go off on the firing range or howitzers on the war ships at sea, but never before had I heard something so loud.

June 6, 1944, Skies over Boarder of south Germany

I watched out of one of the small portholes as another of our airdrop planes exploded as the Anti-Air guns hit the fuel. 30 more men down from which we wouldn’t recover the dog tags. I looked down at mine, glinting in the morning sun.

Warrington, Jack
J.R.W
X12345
23/2/1926
B-
Christian

I simply stared at it, tuning out the explosions from yet another plane going down. That was me; everything I stood for, that piece of thin metal was me. If I lost this I was no-one. A nomad.

I gripped tightly and tucked it under my shirt again. The brief moment my hand was down my shirt I remember feeling my heartbeat. Only gently, but there it was pulsing slowly. I looked up, hearing nothing, but seeing panicked faces of my comrades. Yet I was calm.

A sudden jolt brought me back. “Ok men! It’s time to drop! Get out near the door and when then person in front jumps wait 2 seconds then follow. Count 10 then rip the parachute! Good Luck!”

I was first out. The door blew open, and the cold hit me first. I staggered but did my bit and jumped. That’s what saved me. As I fell out of the planes way an unlucky bullet from a German gun zipped through the cockpit killing the pilot. The Co-pilot was already dead from a bullet like the same. Only his death was quick. The pilot was shot in the chest, but even though he was dying he never said a word and kept the plane flying until every man was out. We saw it tailspin into the ground exploding. I would have saluted him if it wasn’t for my 10 seconds being up.

I grabbed for my rip cord and…
*Noteb* indicates the next chapter needs to be written.
Members who added to this interactive
story also contributed to these:

Story Outline   · Recent Additions

© Copyright 2024 Onlooker (UN: mental88 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Onlooker has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work within this interactive story. Poster accepts all responsibility, legal and otherwise, for the content uploaded, submitted to and posted on Writing.Com.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1173805-Secret-War/cid/356158-Hell-in-the-air