*Magnify*
Path to this Chapter:
  1. Christmas Day 2004 - Up Ingleborough
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1370224-Thoughts-whilst-Walking/cid/483153-Christmas-Day-2004---Up-Ingleborough
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Interactive · Nature · #1370224
This is a diary of walks in Northern England, kept since 2004
Chapter #1

Christmas Day 2004 - Up Ingleborough

    by: Homebrewer
Snow flurries in Ilkley gave us second thoughts about reaching the start of this walk, but thankfully we ploughed on. The road between Ingleton and Hawes was mostly snow covered. Claire saved us from disaster ten minutes into the walk by asking whether I had turned off the car lights - I hadn't.

The light at the start of the walk was fantastic. Blue skies above, two inches of snow on the ground and glowering clouds in the distance. Whernside behind, with the imposing Victorian viaduct and Ingleborough ahead, looking sheer, rocky and white. Whilst snow is beautiful, it is also hard walking. The ascent to the ridge was difficult. Hugely steep, so it would have been challenging anyway, but the snow had covered all rocks, holes and marsh so it all looked one - causing many a slip and disappearing foot.

We didn't get to the top (third attempt, third failure) because the weather was too severe. No visibility and hard, bitter snow. Still, once we made the decision not to go further, Claire got out a bottle of sherry and glasses. I retrieved paper hats and one of those party blower things and we celebrated Christmas.

Coming down was easier, but at points I was convinced my lips had frost bite. Of course it was beautiful weather at the bottom. Again, crisp, clear - the best sort of winter's day.

You have the following choices:

1. Next Walk

2. Something else

Members who added to this interactive
story also contributed to these:

Story Outline   · Recent Additions

© Copyright 2024 Homebrewer (UN: homebrewer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Homebrewer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work within this interactive story. Poster accepts all responsibility, legal and otherwise, for the content uploaded, submitted to and posted on Writing.Com.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1370224-Thoughts-whilst-Walking/cid/483153-Christmas-Day-2004---Up-Ingleborough