*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1011922-The-Battle-Of-GettysBurg
by Crevax
Rated: 13+ · Prose · History · #1011922
A writing for U.S. History on what would happen if the South won at Gettysburg.
The Battle of Gettysburg
Also called the Unbecoming of the World
Also called Hitler’s stepping-stone
The gun smoke cleared, revealing the shattered remains of the fence. Pickett led his men toward the broken fence holding his saber aloft and shouting his orders. “Hold steady men! These Yankees will soon face defeat once again!”
The Confederates kept a steady march as they reached the ruined fence. “Front line! Keep marching while you take careful aim at those Yankees at the cannons. As soon as you fire, drop back and reload as you march. Then we’ll have the next lines repeat.” commanded Pickett as he dropped to the back to avoid enemy fire.
Many Confederates were seriously injured or killed in their charge, but they kept up the steady barrage of lead. The Union couldn’t seem to match the Confederates firing speed, despite their more advanced armaments. Hancock watched carefully at a safe distance, watching as the Confederate assault continued to thin his forces. He looked on with disbelief, not understanding the Confederates advantage. Then, realization hit him heavier than any hammer stroke. “FALL BACK!!” he bellowed, “They’re using a shifting pattern, focus the artillery on the receding line and cover with minimal supporting fire!”
Hancock’s realization, however, came too late. Soon the Confederates overtook the Union artillery, and Pickett shouted aloud in joy, “Alright men! It’s time to show these Yankees the will and power of the Confederates! Now we charge to the glory of the South, the overthrowing of the Union! FORWARD!!!”
There was a deafening bellow from the Confederate advance as they charged the hill. Bayonets glittered in the sun as they were thrust into soldiers from both ranks. Hot lead flew through the air, and enemies died crying over each other, recognizing old comrades too late. The Union line held as long as they could, but their courage began to fail them. The Union generals rallied them, but even they were losing hope. It seemed that for every Confederate soldier that fell, a pair of enraged comrades would take their place.
Finally, there was a momentary brake in the chaos. Soldier from both sides looked around in a stupor. The Confederates had taken the hill. The silence was broken when a long moan came in unison from the Northern soldiers. They fled towards Harrisburg, all the while yelling pitifully, “The Confederates have won, all is lost! The Union is finished!” The Confederates, confident in their victory, chased after them. Shouting and hooting at seeing the Union’s backs, the occasional shot ringing through the air.
“Halt!” A voice from behind the Confederate lines ringing clear through the air. So commanding was this voice, that even a few Union troops ceased their retreat. A lone Confederate was riding hastily towards the Confederate company. Pickett gathered his wits quickly, still slightly drunk with success, and rode to meet the stranger.
“Everyone at ease!” shouted Pickett as he rode through the ranks. He continued his ranting until all of the confederates had gotten considerably comfortable, and the entire Union army had completed their retreat. He met with the stranger, and was handed a letter. At that moment, any soldier nearby General Pickett would have seen not the face of a proud general, but the face of a tortured man that was tired of war.
“Listen up!” he said slowly, “I seem to be the bearer of bad news. Another band of the Union scum has got Vicksburg cut off from the rest of us.” An angry murmur grew through the crowd like a tidal wave. Pickett saw the discontent and declared loudly, “Don’t let this stop us! All this is is another chance to lick those Union dogs! General Lee has taken the rest of our forces and headed to Vicksburg ahead of us. As for us, we’ll rest for a day, and then set out when the sun rises. We’ll head out for Vicksburg, and cleanse its streets of the Union filth!!” Cheers rose from the crowd of desperate soldiers like the sun from the hills.
It took nearly a week for Pickett’s army to reach the battle zone. Morale was low, and then had been more than a few deserters. Even General Pickett’s arrogant good humor from victory had been worn thin. And the sight of Vicksburg did little to ease anyone’s tension. When they arrived, it seemed as though their proud city had been swept into its own incarnation of Hell. Where tall buildings once stood, there was only rubble. The body count was so high that corpses were left out to rot and decay in the street. General Lee’s army was stationed on a nearby outlook of rock. With only one far off look from his Commanding officer, Pickett led a historic charge on the Fourth of July. At the same moment, Lee led his men down in the same fashion, screaming bloody murder with the rest of them. The Union General Grant never knew what hit him, and in the instant it took to charge, the battle quickly turned in favor of the Confederates once again. Seeing his allies charging the Union lines, General John C. Pemberton took what remaining soldiers he had and broke through to the artillery line. Surrounded on both sides, General Grant was without hope. He killed by a lead ball the size of his head, fired off by his own artillery.
After the last crushing defeat at Vicksburg, the Union had no choice but to submit to the Confederacy’s terms. General Robert E. Lee presented Lincoln with the papers of secession and the South became its own country. Only ten years after the Splitting of America, both the Confederacy of America and the Union of the Free Land were conquered by a newly inspired British Empire. Following that, World War 1 was lost, because of the lack of technology and militaristic strength from America. Germany took over the world. And in the annals of history, General Hancock’s folly was forever scorned as the Unbecoming of the World.

Crevax’s Notes: Usually this would be author’s notes, but since it was a joint project, I’m calling it Crevax’s notes.

This is just a writing My friend, RavenNinja, and I worked of for U.S. History. Since we only had two days to work on it, it isn’t as good as it could have been. Heck, if I’m ever board, I might expand on this.
I’m quite happy how this turned out. When I first heard of the project I groaned to myself. But once I started it, I couldn’t stop myself. Also, since this is joint, there’s two versions. Once is what I wrote as the rough draft, and the second with RavenNinja’s additions, and his finishing of it.
© Copyright 2005 Crevax (eternalwords at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1011922-The-Battle-Of-GettysBurg