*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1014028-Living-In-the-past
Rated: E · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1014028
this item is a short story written by me a few years ago
"Beth, you have to get over it! You've been like this for weeks now and you're the only one of us who seems to have your head in the clouds," Stephen argued, being his argumentative self as usual. He never knew when to quit or when to be quiet, now wasn't the best time to argue. But then again that's what he did and he was good at it. Being argumentative that is.

"Stephen look! I'm sorry you feel this way but what do u expect me to be like? Peter wasn't just my boyfriend he was our friend too! And now hes gone!" Beth replied, with a tear in her eye.

Beth and Stephen had had a harsh week. Beth's boyfriend and Stephen's long time friend had died in a car crash a few weeks before. Everyone had been hit extremely hard when they had heard the news and Beth still wasn't getting used to the idea of not having Peter around. She cried constantly, sat at home for hours on end looking at photographs of the one and only love of her life.

The worst thing of all was the flash backs. They drove her insane, and they scared her. She hated to remember things, especially when she had no control over them. She had no idea where they would strike or when. This is what scared her the most. She hated not being in control of her thoughts and and as far as she could see, there was no way to stop it.

"Beth, I'm sorry. Please don't be like this. We'd better get a move on , It's starting to rain." Stephen had taken Beth to the cinema to take her mind off things, however he was achieving the exact opposite. Now they were walking up to his home as he'd had a bright idea to not take the car. Beth couldn't actually drive herself, she never seemed to have the motivation behind her. She never really seemed to have the motivation for anything. Since Peter died she seemed to be getting worse.

It was a dark, damp, depressing night and the stormy conditions reflected Beth's mood. The wind rustled through the trees like the rustling of a scrunched up brown paper bag. She knew she had to get away from the place. She shivered, her body felt cold. She could feel the tears pricking at the back fo her eyes. They stung, with a sharp, aggressive, harsh sting threatening to close anytime with the amount of sleep that had gathered in there.She hadn't slept a good nights sleep in weeks. It was beginning to get her down. Depression was a hard illness to overcome. There is no medication or bandages to cover the scars. She just had to find a way to make herself happy again. She fell. Stephen gasped with astonishment. He grabbed her, held her upright and started shouting violently at her.

"Do you see what you are doing to yourself? Do you? Because everyone else can except you. You've got to stop living in the past and get on with your life. You know it's what Peter would have wanted!" Stephen snapped, with a hint of care for Beth in his voice.

Beth's head spun in disbelief. Her ears were ringing with Stephen's harsh, chaotic, snappy voice. She knew he was right. She had felt her world crash around her for week of time. But Stephen had lifted her world and made her understand what life was for again. Living!

Stephen smiled at her and twisted a stray strand of hair around his long, delicate finger. The wind was howling around them and the trees looked like tall, dark, handsome strangers that reminded her of Peter.

Beth stepped quietly away from Stephen and peered at him through her half closed eyes. His eyes glinted with a sparkle like a bright diamond and his smile was as wide as a clowns.

"Stephen your right. I've been totally rigid these past few weeks and I have to start bringing my life back to normal and hopefully you'll be there to help me. Won't you?" Beth smiled as half smile eagerly awaiting his answer. She didn't know what to expect.

"Of course I'll be there."

A smile spread across Beth's face, she knew Stephens friendship was worth a lot more than money and under no circumstances was she going to let it slip away from her like it had before.

"Come on you! When we get to your place you can give me a ride home." She laughed, for the first time in ages.

"Whatever you say princess."

She knew Peter was there, watching over her, looking out for her and the only thing she could do for him was the one thing that he would have wanted her to achieve. Live life to the max and take every opportunity possible. And that was exactly what Beth was going to do. Live for him and in his memory.
© Copyright 2005 linda lee (njones1985 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1014028-Living-In-the-past