*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1032689-A-Whisper-in-the-Wind
Rated: E · Short Story · Other · #1032689
One day I was walking through a forest called "The City."
One day I was walking through a forest called "The City." It was a normal day and I was walking my normal route I always walked. Going from here to there without really knowing where I was going. I would go to work, go to my friend’s house, would walk my dog and visit with my family. Yet there is something wrong. Something I was forgetting. As I walk near the park in the city, I hear something or someone call my name. When I look up though, there was nobody there, so I keep walking. Then I hear it again. Then I stopped and look around, but still I could not see anyone there. So I called out to whom ever was there, but no one answers. I shrugged my shoulders and walk on.
This happens again to me the next day; I was not sure what it was. So after about a week of it every time I pass the park. I had decided to go a different way, so I walk along the city streets. My life as busy as it could be with everything I did. I keep telling my self I am happy with the life I have. At least that’s what everyone says and thinks. I don't see why I am any different from them. As I walk I walked past a fountain near my neighbor’s yard and hear someone whisper my name. I look up but nobody was there.
I stood there for a minute thinking, the voice I hear sounded just like the one from the park. I had a feeling something was very wrong, but was not sure what it was yet. I decided to go to the park and see what was going on. I started on my way and when I got close to the park, I hear the voice again. I follow the sound of it to an old tree, which I remembered had been in the park since I was a little girl. I walk around the tree and hear the voice call to me.
It said "When you where younger, you use to come an lay beneath my branches, play at my feet and talk to me, but now that you have grown you have lost that child you once was”. I sat down and thought on this, then the old tree said, “A lot of people use to come and lie beneath my branches for shade, they use to play with their children and pets as well. I am sad now because I have lived here for so long and watch people go by and they no longer have time to sit beneath my branches or play by my feet. People are no longer stop and live life, as it should be lived, like a great treasure each and every day." I sat there and had to agree with the old tree, and then I realized what I was doing. A tree cannot talk, can they? Or was it what I was thinking. I got up and walked home, on my way I was pondered what I had heard and learned, I thought could this be true.
The next day when I went by the park, I discover that the old tree was no longer there. I walked over and sat down on the bench not to far from where the tree had been. While I sat there, I thought about all the times I had come to the park when I was little and how I had played on the grass and in the trees. I sat there for a little while longer just remembering the things I did when I was growing up.
Then all of a sudden I sat up straight with an awed expression on my face, for I realized whom it was that was whispering to me. For it was my inner-child trying to remind me, that if I don't live today to the fullest, then how can I expect to live tomorrow to the fullest. Yes my life might be busy and people say I should be happy with what I have. But what is life, if you are not really living it the way you want too, but the way everyone else thinks you should. So from that day on, I was no longer in a hurry. I stopped to go bare foot in the grass, smell the flowers and lived my life to the fullest each day.
Then someone asked me one day, " Why do you do walk without shoe on in the grass, smell flowers and act like a child, when you are not". I told them, "Children have a better life then we do, because they live life like there is no tomorrow. That is why they are so happy. That is why I am happy now". They give me a strange looks, shook their head and rush off to where ever it was they where going.
I started to live my life the way I truly wanted to. I never heard the whisper on the wind again and you know what, I was the happiest person alive because of it. If you ever hear a voice in the wind and no body is there, stop and listen, you might be surprised on what you hear from a whisper in the wind. I know I was.

THE END
© Copyright 2005 Dy Wolf (dy_eliot at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1032689-A-Whisper-in-the-Wind