*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1036742-One-Red-Flower----A-Love-Story
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1036742
My idea of how a single red rose became a symbol of love.
One morning a girl woke and went to the garden. As she walked through it, the scent of each lovely white flower rose to fill her senses. She felt so complete, so at peace, and so in love. This was a feeling she had not had since childhood, a feeling she thought she may never feel again.
As she walked she came upon a pebble. It was the most beautiful pebble that she had ever seen so she picked it up and touched it to her lips and then her heart and finally she laid it back down on the ground.
As she stood back up she saw "him". He was the one who filled her dreams at night and possesed her thoughts by day. He was the one she loved.
As she watched him she saw him pull back on a bow string and within seconds an arrow pierced her heart so deep. As she fell to the ground the last words to escape her lips were "But - I love you".
He knew that he loved her too and that is why he had to kill her. He just didn't want another to take her away from him.
As the blood flowed from her dying body it ran onto one of the beautiful white flowers closest to her heart staining half of it red.
He then went to her and softly kissed her lips. Then he drew his dagger and ran it into his own heart saying "Now we will always be together". As he fell to the ground his blood splashed onto the other half of the flower staining it too.
Over the years the garden grew over until one day a traveler happened upon it.
Having heard the story of the two lovers he began cutting at the thick growth until he came upon the red flower. He cut the flower and took it to the beautiful maiden he had recently met in the village pledging his undying love to her and vowing he would return someday.
Months later when the traveler finally returned to the garden he found that the growth was no longer there, but had been replaced by hundreds of red flowers. Again he cut one and took it to his fair maiden to let her know he had returned.
The next day the entire village heard of the flowering garden and each of the red flowers that the traveler had taken to his village maiden.
They too went to the garden and cut one of the flowers each and took it to the one they truly loved and cherished.
Soon after this became tradition and the one red flower became a single red rose - the symbol for true love.

© Copyright 2005 Lost_In_Time (auntieshawnaqt at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1036742-One-Red-Flower----A-Love-Story