*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1112920-Sugar-free-Rat-Cancer
Rated: E · Short Story · Comedy · #1112920
Do rats chew sugar-free gum?
Entered May, 30, 2006: "Invalid Item"   by A Guest Visitor



Sugar-free Rat Cancer
By: Sugaree


I was just about to doze off when I heard the little creeping pitter-patter noise of my seven-year-old son creeping into my room. I peaked through my half closed eyelids to see what was so sneak worthy. He finally reached my nightstand where I kept little goodies and rewards.

I had several packs of gum and fruit roll-ups. The gum that I preferred to chew was in clear view until just moments before my son began his ‘sneak’ was in clear view. I will have to assume that is why he chose my gum instead of the rest of the goodies.

His little dirty hand crept up over the side of the nightstand and grabbed a pack of my sugar free gum. I laughed to myself and continued dozing off. It must have been about twenty minutes before I heard a repeat of the same. I thought it would be my daughter but instead, it was the same little rascal sneaking my gum instead of the other goodies.

I opened my eyes and began talking to him. I had suddenly remembered the warning label on the gum I’d read before dozing off. His eyes gleamed with guilt as he was caught with his hand in the cookie jar, per say. I held my snickering in for the moment so that he would hear the seriousness in my voice. Surely, I could have just thrown it away but that would have stopped him for eating it somewhere else. I explained my reason for denying him such sugar free pleasures.

“Son, you shouldn’t eat too much of that gum. I read on the back of the pack that saccharin has been found to give cancer to rats. That gum is sweetened with saccharin so don’t eat anymore, okay.” I spoke as though I were still somewhat asleep but awake enough to see him, combined with a bit of motherly concern.

I watched my son’s reaction. His face was twisted with much confusion as he simply asked, “Mamma, what are rats doing chewing gum anyway?”
© Copyright 2006 Sugaree-Serial_Writer (sugaree at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1112920-Sugar-free-Rat-Cancer