*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1114373-Jail-Writing-Group
Rated: E · Other · Writing · #1114373
Any volunteers to help out in their local jails or prisons, take a look and run with it.
Good news: I took a Writer's Group idea to the local jail and was asked to do a radio address to seek more volunteers to help me with this. I'm getting very positive results. I've been including freewriting, either during the group or outside of the group for the inmates. They get their own notebooks and write about whatever is on their minds for blocks of a few minutes at a time. I only ask that they date it before starting to freewrite, so they can look back on it at a later time and see how their thought processes have changed or not. There have been a couple who wish to pursue some ideas for stories from their freewriting.

I also have encouraging and/or thought-provoking prompts for them to write to. I give them 20-25 minutes to write while in the session on Saturday mornings, and if they feel they cannot give it due thought due to the complexity of the prompt, I allow them to take it back to their cells after the session to work on it. Some of them share their writing that comes from outside of the group, written in their cells. I welcome them to share it out loud if they want to.

God has truly opened a door to help these men. I share some of my work, and they share theirs, and they do have a chance to be published offline, and perhaps on this site also, see jasongreen, Romantic Poet , Walking with Christ , and The Mastermind . When they are release from incarceration, my hope is that they will become realize a sense of purpose through writing. I also hope that they will continue with their WDC accounts when I am no longer a necessary middle man (actually lady *Laugh*) *Smile*


Habakkuk 2:2
"Then the Lord answered me and said: Write the vision; make it plain on tablets so that a herald may read it."
© Copyright 2006 Beth Barnett (angellove at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1114373-Jail-Writing-Group