*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1138528-Chapter-2-Unexpected-Guests
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Fantasy · #1138528
Ch.2 begins to get more into the story and even has some action in it. Enjoy!
Chapter 2: Unexpected Guests
-------------

After leaving Lamith, the three of travelers continued along the road south which would take them to the Azure Pass and from there though the Blue Heights. The road would then lead them all the way to the mouth of the Rine Valley and the small trading post of Elk’s Green. As they made their way south the signs of civilization became few and far between. All around Lamith Thomas had seen farms and grazing land but as the party moved farther south the farmland began to disappear and gave way to the stony pine spotted slopes of the Blue Heights. Once they had entered the Azure pass there was nothing bordering the road but sparse stands of pine and the occasional bolder fallen from the cliffs high above. Thomas had missed the wild country even more than he had thought. When he had arrived in Lamith almost two weeks ago he had been overwhelmed by the number of people not to mention the size of the shops and other buildings that crowded the city. It was all new to him and it allowed him to forget he world outside, if only for a few days. In time, however, he began to miss the sounds of the forest and the rocky plains he had left behind. The sounds of the city had been so foreign and exciting at first but in the end they became harsh and lifeless. Now they were back on the road and heading for to the heart of the Rine Valley. Looking at Lilly it was apparent that she was happy to be away from the city too. She practically skipped as she went, keeping a good ten paces ahead of Thomas. Even Yarek seemed more at ease as they traveled. Thomas almost smiled in spite of himself.

From the moment Thomas had first seen him Yarek had always been watching. He seemed to be watching everything, always aware, and always on edge. It used to bother him in the beginning but over time Thomas had gotten used to it. Now Yarek seemed at home away from civilization. Once or twice Thomas could have sworn he heard Yarek begin to hum to himself very softly. It was good to see him happy again.

After leaving the city Yarek had made it their goal to reach the trading post of at Elk’s Green that same day, however, this failed to concern either of his companions. The Azure Pass was unusually hard to travel on foot for the usually traveler but Lilly and Thomas were used to the rocky terrain and their passage went quickly.

It was just before midnight when the three travelers made their way wearily into town. Snow had begun to fall just before sunset and they were all very tired and very cold. The site of the trading post’s lights gave all of them a little comfort. Elk’s Green was a quiet village with only about ten buildings that bordered both sides of the road. All of them were rough hewn and made of what looked like old tree trunks that had been stacked on top of one another to make the walls. The roofs were all sloped and covered with rough shingles to help with the extra weight of the snow. This was crucial due to the snowy weather that frequented the land close to the pass during winter. There was, however, one building that stood out from the rest. The White Pine Inn was the only two story structure in Elk’s Green. With its stone walls and a short brick chimney it was the most impressive structure in town. Even at that late hour light still poured from the first story and the sound of raised voices could be easily heard.

As they entered it became obvious why the inn was still lit. In the common room there were about thirty or forty lumberjacks each with a large mug in his hand. The smell of stout beer and roasting meat filled the room with its pungent, almost overwhelming, odor.

“Lilly, Thomas, you two find a seat will ya’,” Yarek had to yell to be heard over the crowd.” This may take a minute.”

As Yarek made his way towards the bar to speak to the inn keeper Lilly and Thomas found a bench against the wall nearest the door. Even while sitting it was hard for them to keep out of the way as lumberjacks stumbled across the floor. At one point Lilly was almost pushed off the bench as two dwarves, who had found something to fight about, began to push one another into the wall. After what seemed like hours Yarek emerged from the crowd and motioned for the two of them to follow. It took some effort but they eventually managed to push and shove their way to the stairs. Once out of the crowds reach they climbed the short flight of stairs to the rooms Yarek had gotten for them. After retrieving her key, Lilly waved a silent sleepy goodnight to Yarek and Thomas and proceeded to her room. The two men said nothing as they stowed their packs and prepared for bed. He was still unpacking when he heard Yarek slump into bed and begin to snore moments later. As Thomas sat in his bed he could hear the laughs and muffled voices of the lumberjacks below. The moon shown through the warped glass of the window sending strange shadows skittering across the floor as the trees outside swayed lightly in the wind. Thomas let the fatigue of the day rush over him as he lay back. Their journey would begin in earnest tomorrow and they would all need their strength. His eyelids began to droop and a moment later he was asleep.

-------------


In the dense forest that surrounded Elk’s Green the night was silent. The air was cold and crisp and the only sounds were those of the trees creaking in the wind and the occasionally commotion of snow falling from the branches of a pine tree. The moon was full and shown down on the forest etching everything with silvery light. This stark contrast made the shadows of the trees seem bottomless and even the smallest bush cast a stark black smear on the forest floor. It was a peaceful night. However on this night there was something different, something out of place. The brush of cloth on stone, the whisper of displaced snow, and the almost unheard sounds of a body in motion were carried unheard through the night. From time to time a blurred shape could be seen darting from shadow to shadow silently making its way through the trees and brush. As it neared the road the shadow slowed, picking its way more carefully for fear of being detected. The White Pine Inn was now clearly visible and the sounds of merriment drift clearly through the winter air. The shadow rose from the cover of a smaller building it had crouched behind and, instead of sneaking, walked purposefully towards the open door of the inn in order to belay suspicious. The lumberjacks barely seemed to notice the newcomer, most of them having put all of their concentration into staying standing while drinking their ale.

The figure that entered the White Pine Inn wore a heavy winter travelers cloak with the hood pulled over the head so the owner’s face was cast in shadow. She made her way through the common room moving deftly through the crowd, avoiding unwanted attention and upon reaching the stairs ascended swiftly and silently. The second story of the inn it was almost pitch black. The only light came through a small window at the far end of the hall which painted a stark rectangle of moon light on the cracked wooden floor. The traveler made her way along the hallway to the room Thomas and Yarek had been given. With a shuffle of fabric and the soft clicking of metal the stranger went to work on the door. A moment later there was a snap and the lock caught allowing the door to swing ajar. The stranger entered the room without making a sound and surveyed the occupants. From under the hood the traveler’s eyes were slightly visible in the half light of the room. They studied the two men intently and with purpose. The stranger then turned and exited the room just as suddenly and quietly as it had entered.

“Finally...I’ve found them,” The words were almost a whisper and were drowned out by the party below. She then moved across the hall to Lilly’s room. Once again the lock gave a harsh snap and the door opened. Instantly the cloaked figure could tell that she had found what she had been searching for. She was tempted to take it then and there but forced her hand to pull the door shut. Not now…not here…ther would be another time and place for that. The strange moved towards the stairs and exited the inn just as she had come.

-------------


Thomas awoke the next morning to the sun shining through the window of his room. He tried to roll over and go back to sleep but it was no use, he was already awake. He groaned, tossed the covers off and rolled out of bed. After stubbing his toe on the bed post and tripping over his own boots, Thomas finally reached the chipped water basin that was sitting on a small table just inside the door. He splashed the now freezing cold water on his face and shuddered. “There’s nothing for it,” he thought bitterly, “It would have been warmer if you had woken up on time.”

After washing his face Thomas got dressed and found his glasses. Yarek was already gone and so was his gear which meant he better get a move on before he got a severe lecture on laziness. He made a quick survey of the room to be sure that he had all of his things packed. Before making his way down the stairs Thomas stopped by Lilly’s room to see if she was up. It was no surprise to Thomas to find her room unoccupied and just as neat as it had been the night before. Her gear was nowhere to be seen. “Probably already packed,” Thomas concluded bitterly. I’m definitely going to hear about this. He shrugged and made his way, still a little sleepily, down into the common room.

The main room of the inn looked much the same as it had the night before, with the exception of the noisy crowd of lumberjacks. Thomas reassured himself with the fact that he couldn’t have missed too much of the morning due to the current state of the inn’s dining room. Many chairs were still stacked on their respective tables and it was obvious that much of the sawdust from the previous night had not yet been swept up. After making his way to the only occupied table in the room, Thomas pushed his gear under the table and sat down next to Lilly laying his head on his crossed arms.

“Finally decided to wake up, huh,” Lilly said playfully needling him in the ribs with her elbow,”Eat up we don’t have much time. Yarek said we should be ready to go in about an hour or so.”

Thomas lifted his head and accepted the bowl of porridge that she slid across the table towards him. He never had been able to understand how she could be so happy this early in the morning. He resigned himself to a long day of travel and little conversation. As they sat and ate their breakfast their conversation drifted to the next leg of their journey. The forest that lay south of Elk’s Green was dangerous terrain to travel and not only would they cover less distance in the coming days but there were also other issues to consider. The Ikoren Forest was full of miles of ancient trees which, even when seen from the slopes of the Blue Heights, covered the land as far as they eye could see. Travel through the forest was generally avoided by most unless either very well armed or extremely fool hardy. Bandits and wild animals abounded in the Ikoren. If a traveler was unfortunate enough to find himself lost it most likely meant a swift and often none too painless end.

Fortunately for them Yarek was one of the only people either of them had ever met who could accurately navigate his way through the forest without the use of the signs on main road. Yarek had always said that he never needed the signs because, “most o’ the best place ain’t generally marked down.” Besides, it was a necessity due to the location of their final destination. Where they were going was not exactly marked on many maps either, at least none of those that Thomas had seen. They would have to rely on Yarek’s direction and their own wits to keep them on track, not to mention alive.

Lilly was very aware of this fact and was none too reassured from the look of Thomas’s hunched figure on the bench next to her. As Thomas continued to poke uninterestedly at his food Lilly was wondering how he would handle actually facing whatever it was that actually lived in the depths of Ikoren. Of course she trusted her friend completely. It was just the simple matter of his ability, or lack there of, with his sword that concerned her most. After a few more minutes of pondering their journey Lilly stood up.

“I’m gonna go find Yarek and see how he’s coming with the horses, Kay?” Lilly patted Thomas on the shoulder and got a compliant grunt in answer.

She stretched and walked towards the front door of the inn. Once out side she could see that it was going to be a much better day for traveling than she had first expected. The sun shone radiantly overhead and had already begun to melt most of the snow from the previous day. She walked briskly across the street towards the stables in search of Yarek and their horses. The stables of Elk’s Green consisted of what looked to be a log cabin with the front end removed leaving it open to the outside world with the exception of a wooden fence that ran the length of the opening. Inside the floor was generously covered with straw and contained a number of stalls only four or five of which actually had horses in them. Lilly spotted Yarek at the far end of the stalls speaking in hushed tones with the stable manager. Before she was within earshot, however, Yarek noticed her approach and he quickly handed the manager a small pouch of coins and turned to meet her.

“Mornin Lilly,” Yarek said quickly as he made his way towards the nearest stall, “’S Thomas awake yet? We’ll be leavin’ in a moment.”

“Yeah he’s up at the inn eating breakfast,” Lilly said distractedly watching the stable manager who was currently trying to seem inconspicuous by filling feed bags, “What were you talking to him about?” she asked innocently.

“Horses of course,” Yarek continued to inspect the three horses he had just purchased.

“No, I mean just before I came over,” Lilly new that something important must be going on for Yarek to try to keep it from her. Try being the main word because, in the end, Lilly could usually get Yarek to tell her anything.

“Nothin’ important. Just gossip from some of the local trappers. Nothin’ you need be worryin’ about.” Yarek turned back to the horses ending the converstaiton but Lilly persisted.

“Come on Yarek,” she said in her most pleading voice.

The moment Yarek sighed Lilly knew she had won. When Lilly saw his face she saw that his brows wer knit in a concerned expression that made her wish that she hadn’t been quite so convincing. He spoke quietly but continued to inspect the horses as he did so.

“He only mentioned that some o’ the folks passin’ through have been seein’ things in the forest.” Yarek could barely contain his anger when he heard Lilly snicker behind him. He wheeled on her eyes blazing. “This is no laughing matter. That box ya’ got thar’ can never leave your side. Understand?”

Lilly looked a little shaken as he stood confronting her. She nodded woodenly and his features relaxed to their normal state once again.

“Sorry to be so harsh ‘bout that Lilly but you have to understand…” he scratched his head, momentarily at a loss for words. He continued in a much kinder voice, “…and don’t tell Thomas would ya. I only told you cause you had that box, understand.” It was more a command than a question.

“Alright,” she said frowning slightly. “I’ll just go get Tom and our gear so we can be going then.” She gave Yarek a reassuring smile and then made off towards the inn.

Yarek gave a heavy sigh and turned to concentrated on the horses once again. He hoped what he had heard was just that, gossip. However, if what the stable man had said was true they should all be on their guard. It was better to be safe than sorry in this case, and it was almost certain that if they made any mistakes they would all be very sorry indeed.

-------------


About ten minutes later all three travelers had mounted their horses and were ready to being their journey. The horses that Yarek had purchased were of the decent sort. Yarek’s horse was the biggest of the three. A proud black stallion with a cropped tail, braided main, and muscles that seemed to roil under its skin even when walking mad his horse have a sense of majesty all it’s own. The horse had no name that he manager knew of. When he told how he had gotten the horse Yarek was a little surprised. The manager told Yarek that it had been sold to him by a stranger who claimed to be a royal guard.

“Of course he couldn’t have been a royal anything as far as I’m concerned,” the stable man had told Yarek earlier. But when Yarek asked him why not the manager had replied,” Even though he had that fancy uniform I didn’t believe him. Well it’s sure no soldier worth his sword would travel the Ikoren on foot… ‘specially not alone. Besides he didn’t want much for the horse so I came out on top no din’ I.”

The other two horses were not nearly as beautiful as Yarek’s. Lilly had been given a reddish brown colt who seemed to have taken quite a shine to Lilly almost immediately and was allowing her to rub him behind the ears and pat his neck. She had immediately begun to call him Buck, a name which Thomas thought fit him only too well. Buck’s reaction to Lilly was quite the opposite of how had reacted to Thomas who had almost been kicked twice and was now picking idly at the new hole in the edge of his traveling cloak courtesy of Lilly’s new friend.

Thomas’s horse on the other hand was right up his alley. “Granny”, as the sighn on her stall read, was a lanky stout mare with only slightly frayed ears and the slow determined gate of a horse that, as the manager pointed out, had pulled lumber carts her whole life and would enjoy the lighter load.

After making sure that everything was packed on their horses Yarek then turned to Lilly and Thomas and gave them one last word of advise,

“You two just keep yur’ eyes open on this trip,” and as if to answer Thomas’ unasked question he had quickly continued, “I’ve just got this feeling ya see.”

He then heeled his steed forward and started down the road. Lilly looked at Thomas who shrugged. The two of them followed Yarek who followed the road deeper into the forest.

The trees of the Ikoren Forest towered high over head and diffused the sunlight that had earlier bathed the ground with its warm rays. The light now only reached the ground in small dappled patches that not only cooled the air but also had left much more snow behind than Thomas had expected. The dirt of the road had already absorbed the melted snow and was more mud than dirt. All along the side of the road small drifts of snow could still be seen. The forest was much quieter than Thomas had expected. Birds could be seen gliding from tree to tree and every so often a rabbit or squirrel would be startled in the underbrush. Strangely enough Thomas thought that even these noises were quieter than normal. This did nothing to ease his nerves. He had been on edge ever since Lilly had gotten him from the inn. She had seemed unsettled by something. He was tempted to ask her what the problem was but he was sure she would tell him if it was important. Wouldn’t she?

As the day wore on Thomas began to feel more relaxed. Nothing had happened yet and there hadn’t been any signs of other travelers. “Today might just turn out to be normal,” Thomas thought with more than a little relief. The sooner we’re back with the Old Man the better. Besides, he had a few questions he wanted answered. Thomas had made a habit every night to read some of the tattered old book the Old Man had given him before the three of them had begun their journey. There were a lot of things that he still didn’t understand. The book told a story of a time long before Thomas was born when the land had prospered and peace had abounded. It also told of the Golden Age, a time when magic had been common place and not secretive as it was now. But as he read further the true story began to unfolded. The story began to speak of a great evil that had arisen from the darkness of that past world and threatened to consume it completely. At first it had been just another fairy tale like the countless others Thomas had come across, yet somehow this one was different. Even though he had not yet finished it, the story gave the feeling that it was all too true. Was that possible? Was this a history or simply a story to frighten children? Every time he asked himself these questions Thomas always told himself that it was just a story but every time he still felt the creeping sensation that it held a grain of truth. Some part of it seemed to strike a cord in his mind that he himself did not fully understand. Even thought the book was currently strapped tightly inside one of Granny’s saddle bags he still felt the urge to pull it out and finish the story, if only he hadn’t been on a horse. He almost laughed at his own eagerness.

Thomas was roused from his musings by Lilly’s voice from next to him.

“What cha’ thinking about?” she asked. She must have been tired of the silence because no one had said a word for a very long time.

“Just stuff, you know. Like when we’ll see the next land mark,” Thomas lied sheepishly. Lilly already though he was a book worm as it was, she didn’t need to know that he day dreamed about books as well.

“Oh,” she seemed a little disappointed. They rode in silence side by side until Lilly, realizing that Thomas wasn’t going to add anything further to the conversation, moved to resumed her position in the rear of the group. Suddenly Yarek pulled his horse to a stop ahead of them and motioned for them to do the same. He put his finger to his lips ordering their silence. The three of them sat listening to the forest in silence. After a few minutes of this Lilly could stand it no longer and finally whispered,

“What are you listening to? I can’t hear anything…” Yarek silenced her by slashing his hard sharply though the air. He was listening intently to something that neither Thomas nor Lilly could hear. After a moment Yarek stopped listening and turned to face them.

“Let’s get going. We need to cover some more road before we stop for the night.” There was an almost inaudible edge to his voice as he spoke.

“Yarek, what’s going on?” Lilly sounded anxious. She just had to ask and had decided that now was the time. ”You’ve been funny for a while now…is something out there?”

Yarek sat for a moment before he answered. His voice was even and stung of blatant honesty. “Someone or something is followin’ us… have been for a while now…there’s a couple of ‘em…two ‘er three at the most….”

“Since when?” Lilly asked in a shocked whisper.

“No tellin’,” Yarek turned once again and now scanned the trees and underbrush as he spoke. “...and there’s no need to whisper. If I heard them then I’m pretty sure they can hear us.”

“So what should we do?” Thomas was scanning the trees as well, although unlike Yarek he had no hope of finding anything. “Do you think they’re going to attack or...” Thomas didn’t finish his sentence and let his words fade into the silence. After a moment Yarek waved for them to follow him and began to move his horse forward.

“Shouldn’t we try to hide or get away from them?” Thomas asked in a confused voice.

“Ya,” Lilly was as confused as Thomas.

“It wouldn’t do us any good,” Yarek snapped,” They’d just move ahead of us and cut us, we’d be trapped with nowhere to go. Now move.”

Yarek started his horse at a quick trot and was beginning to gain speed when suddenly one of his horse’s legs caught on something. The horse toppled forward but, just before it would have hit the ground, it lurched its leg forward in hopes of freeing it. The horse stayed standing but the damage had been done. In that moment there was the tearing snap of breaking rope followed by the hiss of loosed arrows. With a violent jerk Yarek was carried from his horse by one of the arrows which had found its mark deep in his right shoulder. Suddenly there was noise and movement all from every side. Before anyone could react three more arrows materialized from the shadows one of which only barely missed Lilly as she attempted to dismount and get to Yarek. Thomas’ hand finally found his sword’s hilt and he drew it awkwardly. He jumped from horse and scanned the surroundings for their assailants.

“Where are they?” Lilly shouted desperately from Yarek’s side,” I can’t see anyone.”

“Bloody sneaks,” Yarek growled from where he lay on the road, “Lilly, never mine’ me…go get yur’ bow and help Thomas.” He stood up shakily and tore his ax from its sheath on the horse’s saddle. “Come on out ya sneaky bastards. If ye want to fight then do it man to man.”

The three of them stood there, waiting. Lilly had retrieved her bow and arrows and had rushed back to Yarek’s side. She scanned the road. Thomas stood only a mere ten feet away, both hands on his swords hilt breathing heavily and turning this way and that. He was determined not to be surprised by his enemy’s approach. After a moment three black cloaked figures emerged from the forest. One stood blocking the road south and the other two the road to the north. They were trapped. The masked figure to the south stepped forward to confront its prey. Yarek wheeled about and tried to heft his ax in a menacing fashion but failed with groan. He then slumped forward catching himself on one knee and leaned heavily on his ax.

“Surrender,” The voice was cold and direct yet at the same time had a seductive air to it. The cloaked figure continued to advance on Yarek,” You are out numbered, out maneuvered, and by the looks of your companions out matched as well. You have something that is of interest to my master and therefore of interest to me.”

“Wha’ did ya’…put on tha’ arrow?” Yarek’s speech was slurred and, even as he spoke, his grip on the ax loosened. When he tried to stand and face his opponent his legs failed him and he sprawled flat on his chest. Lilly rushed to him and rolled him onto his back. Yarek’s eyes were already dull as he spoke, “I’ll tear ya’ apart when I get uuuup...” He couldn’t finish his thought. He lay in Lilly’s arms for amoment while making feeble attempts to rise. Soon his strength failed letting his head fall to the side.

The figure now walked in a circle around the three of them toward Lilly’s horse. Once there the bandit reached towards on of Lilly’s belt pouch which was tied to one of the saddle bags.

“Get away from there you,” Lilly shouted through her tears. She had jumped to here feet and was poised to lunge at the stranger. The bandit reacted instantly with a fluid lightning quick sweep which left the point of her sword only a few inches from Lilly’s face.

“Oh, so I was right,” the voice sounded amused. ”I thought you were the one I saw with it last.” At that moment Lilly’s expression was one of utter fury and it was only the tip of the blade that stopped her from fulfilling her earlier plans of tackling the bandit then and there.

The speaker reached up and removed the mask and hood that had muffled its voice and shrouded its features. Once it was gone the figure that stood before them was one that was surprising to say the least. The speaker was a rather pretty young woman. She was almost a full head shorter than Thomas and with skin the color and texture of smooth dark leather Thomas could barely keep from staring. Long pointed ears pushed through her short cropped white hair which if seen from behind could have had her mistaken for that of a young boy. Her bright blue eyes seemed to survey the unfolding scene with an aloof uninterested gaze that still maintained the feeling of constant vigilance. It gave Thomas the chills when he tried to follow her gaze. The delicately was firmly grasped the hilt of a sword of which Thomas had never send the like. The hilt was surrounded by a guard that completely covered the hand with a network of interlaced bars which ended at the cross guard. The sword looked beautiful and yet lethal in the same breath with its long, thin and double edged blade. Thomas’ sword looked like a piece of scrap metal with a hilt in comparison to the beautiful elven craftsmanship. The young woman had stopped talking now and was staring straight into Lilly’s eyes.

“If you cooperate there need be no further unpleasantries,” the she continued as if nothing had happened and gave no external sign that she even remembered drawing her blade.” Simply give us what we want and we will leave you in peace.”

Thomas tried to look at Lilly. Even with his back almost completely to her he could still guess the expression on her face. It would be that same little smile that Thomas had come to know so well. All of the fear would be gone and the anger would have subsided momentarily. He knew she understood the situation and nothing would be able to convince her to give up anything to this elf. She would never give up that box. Thomas braced himself unconsciously. There had to be something he could do to buy them all a little time; something to give them a way out, maybe a diversion, anything that could give them the upper hand. But it was too late. From behind him Thomas heard the young woman, still with her sword on Lilly, give a long sigh.

“You poor girl, it is foolishness to deny me what I seek,” he voice sounded mocking and cold. “Don’t you see that you are only making this harder on your friends as well as yourself,” Seeing that Lilly was not going to change her mind the elf’s face grew dark. “If that is how you’ll have it…” she shouted to the other two without turning, “All right men, take him.”

Thomas heard the two bandits begin towards him. He was now visibly shaking as his veins filled with adrenalin. He tightened his grip on the hilt of his sword and steadied his balance.

“Not without a fight you won’t, “Thomas blurted out with more courage than even he had expected. “You’ll have to kill me before you get what you want.”

The young woman half turned towards where Thomas stood. She seemed slightly taken aback by his declaration. The look lasted only a moment though and without any further hesitation she nodded to her compatriots. Unsheathing their swords and both broke into a dead run. As they raised their swords Thomas braced himself for the attack. He tried to remember what Yarek had taught him about using his sword. He had never been very good in practice but he wouldn’t let past failure stop him now. He had to protect Lilly and Yarek…if he was still alive.

As the first bandit reached him he flinched. The first blows came hard and fast. Thomas caught them with the face of his sword and he stumbled back swinging his arm out to for balance. This was the opening his opponents had been hoping for and before he could regain his balance the second bandit raised his sword and brought it down hard. The blade caught Thomas square in the chest and he felt it tear a searing gash across his skin. Thomas’ body went limp and his sword clattered to the road beside him. As he lay on his back gasping from the pain he could feel the front of his cloak begin to soak with blood. How could they have finished him so easily? His mind was in a state of utter disbelief. As he lay bleeding on the muddy road he could vaguely hear Lilly screaming in horror.

Meanwhile, his two attackers seemed to have lost interest and were walking towards the other two horses who were surprisingly calm in the face of these extraordinary circumstances. The bandit leader, while still guarding Lilly with her sword, turned to her men.

“You two take the horses. The girl and I will…” She was cut off mid sentence by a roar that sent a chill down Lilly’s spine and sounded echoes that reverberated through the surrounding trees.

Lilly’s captors now stood in disbelief as they turned to face the source of this ungodly cry. Lilly could hardly believe her eyes as she turned to see Thomas standing where he had fallen. His cloak had come undone and now lay in a bundle next to his fallen sword in the road next to him. His now torn shirt was soaked in blood and hung on him like a well used rag. It was Thomas who stood in the road before them but as Lilly looked closer she saw that the eyes behind Thomas’ cracked and blood spattered spectacles had changed.

“NOOOOOOOOOOO...” Thomas roared. He took a shaky step forward and then another. Blood was now dripping from the corner of his mouth and the gash on his chest was pouring even more blood down onto the road beneath him. “...YOU WILL …DO NO SUCH THING...”

All three of the bandits had regained their composure by this time and their leader was shouting orders.

“We can’t afford to lose now,” Lilly thought she heard the elf’s voice tremble as she spoke. “Take him down for good this time. “

Again the two men faced him, blades at the ready, and again they began to charge but this time Thomas reacted before they could reach him. His right arm shot out straight ahead of him palm facing his attackers. He gave another roaring shout that seemed to shake the very ground beneath them. Both men were confused and a little afraid skidded to a halt. For the briefest of moments nothing happened. Then the air around Thomas’ hand began to roil, as if it were being heated by an unseen fire. Thomas didn’t seem to notice. His eyes were set firmly on Lilly and next to her the prone body of Yarek. To him only one thought remained.

“…PROTECT...”

Suddenly there was a sound like a great wind which had been imprisoned was now being released. From Thomas’ outstretched hand spewed forth a solid column of flame as think as a small tree trunk. It completely engulfed the two awe struck bandits who stood before him. The torrent continued on for a moment and then just as suddenly as it had started it stopped. Thomas’ arm fell limp to his side once again. Once the flames the remained had subsided smoke quickly filled their place. The vast cloud shrouded everything on the road and much of the surrounding forest. Thomas felt his heart begin to slow. His vision which had been shaking was now clearing a little. He could feel an aching pain begin to rise in his chest. The shock of his injury had finally worn off and he was still disoriented. What just happened? What’s all of this smoke? What was going on?

At that moment a sudden gust of wind swept down the road lifting the smoke that had all but blinded him. Thomas now looked at the scene that lay unfolded before him. Lilly knelt where she had been earlier and like wise the elven bandit leader stood in the same place, although now with her sword held limply at her side. Next to her feet lay the two bandits apparently unconscious but seemingly unharmed. In the end it was what stood on the charred piece of road where the two bandits had stood only moments before that finally brought Thomas to speak.

“You? But…how?” His words were almost a whisper.

Thomas felt the blood leave his legs and he began to sway. He had lost too much blood and his body, which had apparently forgotten, had now decided to let him know. The last thing Thomas saw before he hit the ground and his vision went black was a solitary figure. The figure stood knees slightly and bent hands crossed with their palms facing where Thomas lay. The man uncrossed his hands and straightened. He smiled as he looked down at Thomas.

“Well well…If it isn’t Thomas Alderin. I’ve been expecting you.”

-------------


© Copyright 2006 Cautious Pen (akira1892 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1138528-Chapter-2-Unexpected-Guests