*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1141477-The-dragon-fight
by bjkanz
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #1141477
children's short story about a dragon helping a beautiful princess
Once upon a time there was a beautiful princess named Raelle. She had long wavy blond hair. She wore simple dresses, nothing to fancy. The blue in her eyes sparkled like the water on the lake. Everyone saw her beauty, but few saw her loveliness on the inside. She was beautiful both inside and out.
She had many knights wanting to marry her so they would become king, but most were mean and evil. They didn't show their true self until it was almost too late for Raelle to find out. The princess did not know what to do, so she devised a plan. Each knight that came to her asking for her handin marriage must face a test. Each knight must face the scary dragon in the hills. The knight will fight the dragon but had to promise not to kill it. Around the dragon's neck was a gold necklace. The princess asked the knights to bring back the necklace before Princess Raelle promised to marry them.
Many wnt to defeat the dragon, but no one came back with the necklace. Princess Raelle would listen to them tell their stories and know their true heart was wrong.
Princess Raelle walked into the hills every evening.
"Hello Princess." The dragon growled (for that was the only way a dragon can talk). "Your last knight cut me rather deep."
"Oh, you poor thing." The princess took a towel and some fresh water from her bag and cleaned the wound. "I should not let you help me this way. One day you could get yourself killed."
"It is my honor." He bowed his head almost to the ground. "But no one has been worthy of you."
"Thank you my friend." The Princess would listen as the dragon told of the real battles with the knights. Some of them were funny, and some scared the princess.
Each evening she would fo and spend time with the dragon. They would walk by the stream talking, or the dragon would give her a ride and fly to the top of the mountains. The Princess enjoyed spending time with the dragon, but hoped a knight would someday win and become her Prince.
Day after day the dragon fought off each knight as they came to take the necklace for the princess. And night after night the princess would come see the dragon and tell of her plans when she was made queen.
One night the dragon was sad when the princess came to see him.
"What's wrong, my sweet dragon?"
"I fight and fight these knights for you. I wish I could marry you and make your dreams come true."
Princess Raelle saw how sad the dragon was and reached around his neck and unhooked the necklace. "You fought so many for me. I thank you and release you from your duty."
As she pulled the necklace away, the dragon started to change. His green and silver scales started to vanish. Where the dragon once stood now was a handsome man. He looked just like she pictured her knight to be, but she missed the dragon. The knight took her hand and led her down by the waters. It was then that she realized she loved the dragon all along. His beauty was now coming through.
He explained he was cursed into a dragon because he told someone they were ugly because of their heart. The wicked woman made him into a dragon until someone could see his true beauty beyond the scales. "Thank you for seeing my true beauty." The man said.
"You're welcome and thank you for waiting for me to see the true you." Princess Raelle said as they walked to the castle together: hand and hand
© Copyright 2006 bjkanz (bjkanz at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1141477-The-dragon-fight