*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1143913-A-Prayer-for-Christmas-Day
Rated: E · Short Story · Emotional · #1143913
A short, one page reflection about a small boy's Christmas wish.
"Ho Ho Ho, Merry Christmas! And what do you want for Christmas this year young man?" "Uh...I want that new robot dog that everyone is talking about. That is exactly what I want Santa." I watched that old fake Santa sit there and lie straight to my face. He cannot promise to get me anything, he doesn't even know who I am. I couldn't tell him what I really wanted for Christmas though. I just can't bare talk to anyone about it, especially a lying old man. You see, I used to have a mummy and daddy, but Daddy got sick. Mummy didn't like it when Daddy got sick. Daddy was dying and Mummy had no love left to give, not for me, not for anybody. I was there the day my daddy died. I was four years old, sitting on the edge of his bed crying like never before. Just before he died he told me, " Whatever you do boy, you look after your mamma. She isn't in a good state right now. Son, you are the only one who can get her through this."

I failed my daddy. I am now seven years old and Mummy has been at a rehabilitation centre for a year now. They took me away and left me with the foster kids. I couldn't stop Mummy from drinking. Every night she would drink more and more until she lost her mind. I could have done more to help her, I just know it! The drink controlled her, she couldn't control herself. I just sat back and watched it happen before my eyes.

I can't live with a foster mum for the rest of my life. I just can't let that happen to me. I want to be just like the other kids with loving parents who care for them like nothing else in the world. They say I will be adopted. I don't want to be adopted, I want my mummy.

All I want for Christmas is my mummy. I will look after her this time, just like my daddy said. I just want her to come home so I can hug her and tell her how much I love her. She means more to me than anything else in the world. The evil drink will not over power her again, I promise. Please God, bring me my mummy home for Christmas.

© Copyright 2006 steddy10 (steddy10 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1143913-A-Prayer-for-Christmas-Day